Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
I had that it was the "moly" that Crane supplied with the cam and the bottle of Crane additive. Gone after break in oil change 20 minutes.

That was 5 years ago and have since had the opportunity to inspect bearings. cam and lifters all fine

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ve done a fair bit of driving the last few days. Changed the oil and filter 3x. The brassy colored metal is constant, but there’s almost nothing magnetic floating around. The crank doesn’t move fore or aft if you pull on it. The car is a manual trans, so clutch related issues can’t be ruled out in regards to thrust wear. There’s only a handful of sources for brass colored material, and none of them aren’t terminal. I probably jus caught it before it got really destructive.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had that problem on a bike. Took a few things off and couldn't find any play anywhere there was a bronze bushing. Putting it back together a seal fell out of place and I blew the motor. If it were me I wouldn't touch the motor until you hear a noise. There are only so many places there are bronze bushings. It's not the main bearings, so what else is bronze?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts