Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
make one
you could use a 1/8 welding rod turn the motor to tdc on #1 put a mark on the balancer where the where the welding wire is. use a dial back timing light.

I thought the float level on a edelbrock was 7/16
5.5 pounds is on the high side for that carb install a pressure regulator and set to 4 pounds

ken

·
Registered
1966 Coupe-289-3sp-No A/C
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
make one
you could use a 1/8 welding rod turn the motor to tdc on #1 put a mark on the balancer where the where the welding wire is. use a dial back timing light.

I thought the float level on a edelbrock was 7/16
5.5 pounds is on the high side for that carb install a pressure regulator and set to 4 pounds

ken
Thanks Ken, I'll double check the manual on the float level, I think the 7/16 is for drop, never heard 5.5 being high, check gauge again this afternoon and fuel gauge was bouncing quite a bit I'm guessing at 5.5, BTW I forgot to mention is this CAM uses 351 firing order

·
Premium Member
5,871 Posts
You need to get a handle on your timing before you crank the motor over one more time. Others have suggested how to do this. If you end up with cylinder wash, Google it, you will be starting all over again. You probably have a fuel problem but you need to eliminate all the variables you can, and your mystery timing is the first one that should be addressed.

·
Registered
See my 1967 parts needs in my signature below!
874 Posts
I stated there is no timing mark as block was a truck block with the timming on passenger side I changed waterpump to passenger side so there is NO timing light marker, I'm setting timming with vacuum gauge and old fashion when its smoothest.
Get a 2 o'clock timing pointer and timing tape or new (aftermarket) balancer.

Reactions: 66coupe289

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Get a 2 o'clock timing pointer and timing tape or new (aftermarket) balancer.
is there a pic of your response, I have a new Balancer but dont have a timing marker on block, I hate to sound like a dumb ass, but I not understanding how to know and were to put a pointer, Thanks

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
I'll say it 1 more time----I don't have a timing tab on block.
Well, get a timing pointer. One does not go through life not being able to time their engine.

$7.37 seems like a small investment:

I have not had to put one on, but I assume it uses some of the bolts on the timing cover that places the point at "2 o'clock". If it were me, I would buy the part and

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,313 Posts
is there a pic of your response, I have a new Balancer but dont have a timing marker on block, I hate to sound like a dumb ass, but I not understanding how to know and were to put a pointer, Thanks
You don't sound like a dumb ass...just struggling a bit to grasp the concept here. In my earlier post I showed you a tool that goes into the spark plug hole for #1 cylinder, and also a link to a video that shows how to use it. You can attached a pointer of any kind to the block (anywhere you like), whether you buy one or make it out of bent wire, it doesn't matter. Once you have that new pointer attached and pointing at the balancer, use the tool to find TDC and mark the balancer. That is TDC. There probably won't be any degree makings on the balancer at your new TDC pointer location, so until you buy timing tape to apply, you can simply find the existing degree markings on the balancer and measure how far the 10 degree, 20 degree and 30 degree marks are from TDC (they will be equally spaced), then transfer those measurements and mark them where you have your new TDC mark. Also, you don't need a timing light with a degree wheel to check distributor advance, simple rev the engine and watch that your timing mark advances with the light.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well, get a timing pointer. One does not go through life not being able to time their engine.

$7.37 seems like a small investment:

I have not had to put one on, but I assume it uses some of the bolts on the timing cover that places the point at "2 o'clock". If it were me, I would buy the part and

I just ordered the pointer and tape

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You don't sound like a dumb ass...just struggling a bit to grasp the concept here. In my earlier post I showed you a tool that goes into the spark plug hole for #1 cylinder, and also a link to a video that shows how to use it. Once you have put the motor exactly at TDC, you can attached a pointer of any kind to the block (anywhere you like), whether you buy one or make it out of bent wire, it doesn't matter. Once you have that new pointer attached and pointing at the balancer, make a mark on the balancer where the pointer is pointing to. That is TDC. There probably won't be any degree makings on the balancer at your new TDC pointer location, so until you buy timing tape to apply, you can simply find the degree markings on the balancer and measure how far the 10 degree, 20 degree and 30 degree marks are from TDC (they will be equally spaced), then transfer those measurements and mark them where you have your new TDC mark. Also, you don't need a timing light with a degree wheel to check distributor advance, simple rev the engine and watch that your timing mark advances with the light.
Thanks I just ordered a 2 oclock pointer and tape summit

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang C-Code
35 Posts
I just went through some timing fun after installing a Pertronix Ignitor and Coil. What I thought was 6* was more like 4, because my pointer is "unique". Logic suggested I use the little notch in my pointer, but looking over some examples of other pointers, I discovered that the notch is wrong, and the blade edge is actually the 2:00 index. I then got greedy and set it at ~10*, and got a nice knock once it had heat soaked for a bit. I had just filled her up with 90 AKI 100%, after previously running 93. Lesson learned.

It's too bad you aren't closer. I'm in Morristown, and I have the timing light and with folks' help here, some experience in setting it - so I could've helped or lent you the light.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just went through some timing fun after installing a Pertronix Ignitor and Coil. What I thought was 6* was more like 4, because my pointer is "unique". Logic suggested I use the little notch in my pointer, but looking over some examples of other pointers, I discovered that the notch is wrong, and the blade edge is actually the 2:00 index. I then got greedy and set it at ~10*, and got a nice knock once it had heat soaked for a bit. I had just filled her up with 90 AKI 100%, after previously running 93. Lesson learned.

It's too bad you aren't closer. I'm in Morristown, and I have the timing light and with folks' help here, some experience in setting it - so I could've helped or lent you the light.
Thanks Lance

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sounding like a dumb ass, a dumb ass wouldn't ask questions. Hang in there and you'll get it everything was new to all of us at one point.

Btw, nice looking car!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Lots of great advise here. In addition to the above, I'd also check the ignition. Coil ok? Is it the right coil for the dizzy (dwell vs coil resistance)? Got the right voltage to the coil?

Issues with the coil can cause exactly what you describe. It will have a weak and intermittent spark.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have never had good luck with Mallory stuff. Take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Lots of great advise here. In addition to the above, I'd also check the ignition. Coil ok? Is it the right coil for the dizzy (dwell vs coil resistance)? Got the right voltage to the coil?

Issues with the coil can cause exactly what you describe. It will have a weak and intermittent spark.
electronic dizzy, while running dizzy shows like 5.8 volts, coil is not old, I'm still running with pink wire as this distributor is supposed to run as stock wireing, I've been looking at coil but don't know how to tell if it's not putting out correct voltage under load

21 - 40 of 48 Posts