Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and am about to embark on my first vintage mustang purchase. Specifically, a 1968 convertible. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what to look for in a car of that year. I'm not necessarily looking for a show car, but a very nice driver.

I've purchased and still own a classic car, but I know that each year has its own idiosyncrasies, gotchas and things to watch out for when buying. I would like to be a little more prepared than last time.

Any help would be greatly be appreciated by wife who won't have to keep telling me 'its getting late, can't you finish that tomorrow?'

Thanks guys,
Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check the cowl. They tend to rust out. This is a very time consumming thing to fix. I have drilled out 82 spot welds and I am still not done. If the rust is not to bad you can put in the replacement hats which are much easier. Do a search on this forum for Cowl repair and you will see what I am talking about.

Here is a link that shows how you would have to repair it. http://www.geocities.com/akatajam/cowl.htm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Some of the things to look for are the '68-unique items like the grille surround, the foglights (if represented as a GT), and the side marker lights/reflectors on the quarter panels. Some '68 owners who replace their quarters don't bother to cut in the spot for the lights or reflectors (I'm not sure which applies to '68) and so the quarter is not really correct for the year.

If the car is represented as a GT or GTA, double-check with Marti Autoworks to verify it's authenticity. True factory GT's are more valuable, so you want to be sure you're getting the real deal.

There are a couple of nice-looking '68 convertibles on the Internet right now (see here and here). I especially like the first one because it has modifications similar to what I've done to my '69, while still having that great '68 look.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I agree whole-heartedly: rust is your biggest concern. If the front floorboards are rusted, it's more than likely because the cowl vent leaks water down onto them. (possibly a MAJOR repair!) Then of course check the quarters, the front bottom corners of the doors, and most importantly the fraimrails for rust. If you're familiar with vintage cars, then you already know about rust repair. You probably have an idea of the time and money involved in panel replacement.

Beyond that, even a convert that doesn't have a drivetrain can often be a worthwhile investment. If it's not some super-rare collector's dream, then I wouldn't worry too much about "correctness." Things like electrical problems and poor-running engines can all be worked out. The important thing is to spend your money on a solid, straight car that won't snap in-two once you get it home!

Good luck, and welcome to the VMF!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts