Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if 2 counts as a herd, but it's a start. I have been looking for a 70 Mach I for several months. Had a couple of bad experiences but that will be the topic of another post. The target car was: 351 (M or H code OK), shaker, 4 speed, no or little rust and presentable paint. Budget was 25K or less. Not interested in doing body work or a paint job, wanted a car to drive and have fun with.

Last Friday I brought home a great find. 70 Mach I, 351 Cleveland 4V, automatic, PS, PB, factory shaker, factory Calypso Coral with white interior. Car was restored in 2000 - 2003. It's a North Carolina car with all original panels, a floor patch and a battery box repair. The only current rust is the rearmost trunk floor panel between tail panel and gas tank; typical leaky trunk. Other than that, solid. Engine recently rebuilt with bigger cam, roller rockers and more that I'm still digging up. Original and correct shaker (sits high due to Holley carb I think). Front and rear spoilers and slats. The hood stripe is not quite right behind the shaker but most don't notice. Runs very strong and feels tight, no squeaks or rattles at all.

The interior is great, just a few weekend projects away from complete. Restored rimblow, AM/FM from Perogie, Magnums with ugly spinners (getting rid of them), rebuilt suspension and transmission and many extra parts. Paint is good, shines nicely but looks like a garage paint job if you look close. All lights work, all guages work, no engine leaks. Molding needs repainted.

Lots of documentation to include buck tag, factory invoice, Marti report, 999 report, pictures of the restoration and extensive receipts.

I think that this car meets pretty much all of my criteria and in fact is much better than I expected to get in this price range. Paid less than 20K so it even beat my budget restrictions! And thanks to my good buddy 66EmbergloGTConvertable for all his help! So what do you think?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice Buy!! You have great taste. Growing up, had a 66GT and a yellow 70 Mach. If I had to choose 2 cars, I'd choose those years...as well as the colors you have. Not crazy about orange, but for some reason, really like the Calypso Coral as well as the Emberglow. Patience paid off for you. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That is a beautiful car with the orange/white combo, not something you see often.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
First problem I notice...change the sig pic! ;) Congrats on the purchase, Drew! You did very, very well (and patience isn't your virtue, haha). Now, get a Cardomain website up on the Mach and get started enjoying that car. When's the road trip to pick up them bumpers? Call you later...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, guess I do tend to go for the more unusual color combinations. Since I am pretty much a stock guy, maybe that is my way of "going a little wild". :burnout: Both are my favorite colors for that particular year. I know color can be changed (see Kelly, therapy is paying off) but in this case I didn't want to be doing a paint job so I was going to need to live with it for a long time. Just got lucky with finding what I really like.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
imBOSSter said:
70 Mach I + Calypso Coral = win
+1, this has got to be my fav color combo for a '70 Mach -- and a shaker to boot, very cool. Xcellent price. Congrats and have fun.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Very Nice Drew. Congrat's on the find.I like the color combo as well. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts