Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noted a huge increase in Mustang owners wishing to convert their 4 lug Mustang to 5 lug disc brakes. We now offer new high strength spindles which are a hybrid design with 65-66 Geometry and 71-73 large bearing stub axle configuration and stout steering arm. We have also thickened the flange in order to better suit large rotor applications.

This model is the basis for the soon to be available 1.5" drop spindle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Going to be a great product for people in need. Getting a good set of originals is getting harder to do. I finally located some originals or I would be all over this.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Nice to have another option available.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Very good news. Wasn't there a Ford Service spindle for the 65-66 that used larger bearings? Does this spindle use the 65-66 OTR?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yes, there was. The service spindles for 65-66 were upgraded to the bigger bearings that were used from 1970 and later. Hard to find apparently. Of course, spindles are not very often replaced. When they get damaged, then usually the rest of the front end of the car is bend up too and a likely destination of the car is the junk yard (at least in the early 70's when these spindles were introduced)

I believe degins mentioned in an earlier thread that it uses a (beefier) Granada type tie rod.

Cool that these spindles are now being made!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I guess it's too late now, but it would have been really cool if the wide part of the steering arm (around the tie rod mounting hole) would have extended a bit forward. That way, you could create a "quick steering" spindle, by moving the tie rod hole an inch forward. That would appeal to both people who want quicker steering with original box (like "Shelby quick steering kit" longer pitman/idler arms) or those who want a smaller turning radius (and quicker steering of course) from their rack and pinion.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Well, the Shelby kit is still available, last time I looked.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very good news. Wasn't there a Ford Service spindle for the 65-66 that used larger bearings? Does this spindle use the 65-66 OTR?
In keeping with the "beefier" theme, they uses the larger Granada type tie rods. They are included along with dust shields with the spindle kit. We stock tie rods for all 65-66 and 67-73 steering types, although we recommend that 65-66 manual 6 cylinder steering cars be upgraded to 8 cylinder type steering linkage if these spindles are to be installed. The OE linkage used on power steer 65-66 6 cylinder cars are compatible.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, there was. The service spindles for 65-66 were upgraded to the bigger bearings that were used from 1970 and later. Hard to find apparently. Of course, spindles are not very often replaced. When they get damaged, then usually the rest of the front end of the car is bend up too and a likely destination of the car is the junk yard (at least in the early 70's when these spindles were introduced)

I believe degins mentioned in an earlier thread that it uses a (beefier) Granada type tie rod.

Cool that these spindles are now being made!
I believe that the service spindles were based on the 70 spindle design. Our spindle is based on the 71-73 spindle design. These were identical to the 70 type except the 71-73 type has a beefier steering arm. BTW, our new spindle has 65-66 steering stop configuration.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
I guess it's too late now, but it would have been really cool if the wide part of the steering arm (around the tie rod mounting hole) would have extended a bit forward. That way, you could create a "quick steering" spindle, by moving the tie rod hole an inch forward. That would appeal to both people who want quicker steering with original box (like "Shelby quick steering kit" longer pitman/idler arms) or those who want a smaller turning radius (and quicker steering of course) from their rack and pinion.
à la Corvette? Some of the mid-60's ones had two tie rod holes, the inner of
which would shorten the steering some. (I think one set of holes was actually
intended for P/S and the other for Manual)

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
C9ZZ service spindle for 65/66.....

Attachments

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
In keeping with the "beefier" theme, they uses the larger Granada type tie rods. They are included along with dust shields with the spindle kit. We stock tie rods for all 65-66 and 67-73 steering types, although we recommend that 65-66 manual 6 cylinder steering cars be upgraded to 8 cylinder type steering linkage if these spindles are to be installed. The OE linkage used on power steer 65-66 6 cylinder cars are compatible.
Sounds good. The 65-66 left side PS outer end is available with the Granada-size pin, so even PS people will be able to use them.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good. The 65-66 left side PS outer end is available with the Granada-size pin, so even PS people will be able to use them.
We offer both 6 or 8 cylinder types of those as part of our kits.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,665 Posts
I've got a pair of beefed-up spindles for '65-'66 that were made in '68... used larger bearings and were a pain in the *** to fit because I couldn't figure it out! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts