Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to replace the oil pan on the engine with a new pan. I got the one piece gasket for it. I have heard these can be constant leakers if not done corrrectly so I am looking for some advise. I figure I should attach the gasket to the pan and then attach the assembly to the engine. My question is should I use a sealant on the gasket and if so what type? Any advise or comments would be greatly appreciated. I do not want the pan to leak.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I installed one of those 1 piece gaskets on my friends Lebaron, it came with these cool little plastic pins that threaded into the block, then you snapped the gasket on them and then the pan, that way you had both hands free to put the bolts in. You just unscrew them when you are done and put in the rest of the bolts. I didn't use any sealer except where the directions said too which was the corners by the main bearings. It hasn't leaked yet.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I replaced the pan gasket on my 289 with a one piece silicone one from Ford Racing Parts. I did it with the engine in the car...not easy....and with the Shelby aluminum pan as well...even tougher as that pan will not go on just by raising the pan straight up to the block...you have to [censored] it at an angle to clear the oil pump. And they didn't include any trick inserts to hold the gasket in place on the block....thats a great idea!! I used a gasket cement to hold the gasket to the block so I could manuver the pan to get it in place. Hopefully you won't have the same amount of obstacles to deal with. Just make sure all the block and pan surfaces are very clean and dry when installing. I used a light flim of blue RTV on the moulded in end seals. Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good advise guys. I will be installing the pan while the engine is in the car also, but the entire front end including the crossmember below the engine and steering are removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts