Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the rebuilt 351W in. I went to prime the oil pump and it really is acting like it under a tremendous load. It started out spinning free but when it picked up oil it bogged waaaay down and really gave my drill a work out, i mean the drill motor was HOT! Before I filled With the oil I could turn the primer rod freely by hand. Now it is really stiff and difficult to turn by hand. Could I have burned the pump up? Is this normal? :: :: ::

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sounds like you have successfully primed your oil pump. It is normal to feel quite a bit of resistance after you pick up your prime. You should see evidence of oil up on your rocker arms after you reach this point. ::

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's normal when it picks up its prime. You did turn the oil pump rod counter clockwise. That would be reverse direction on your drill. :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
thats why the shafts sometimes break on 289's they were smaller than the 351 and a cold weather start with heavy oil could break them. Sounds like you did just fine Gary

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I went counter clockwise. Although I did run clockwise a couple of minutes without realizinf what I was doing. As soon as I flicked the drill into reverse it stared priming and then really bogged that sucker down, I mean, motor wanting to smoke!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I prime mine by hand using an old Craftsman speedwrench. It is quite a workout but it is kind of fun too. You don't have to turn the pump at high rpms to get oil everwhere. Try it by hand and see how hard it is to turn and you will not only realize why it bogs the drill but you will realize just how much HP an oil pump consumes.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
a constant pull on a battery operated drill is the worst for it, even 110v corded drills dont like it, thats why drill bits are designed to take little bites. Im sure your pump is primed and ready for the dizzy! ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts