Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking with people about the noise I heard on Sat. Night the general agreement is that it's the water pump starting to go bad. Was told to grab the fan, and if I could get any upwards motion on it, the WP was going. I could get a slight amount of movement (maybe a millimeter).

Here is my question, I can buy a rebuild WP from supplier #1, that also has the timing chain and harmonic balancer I'm also going to order. Or I can buy a NEW (not NOS) Motorcraft/Ford Water Pump from vendor #2 for about $25 more.

Pros and Cons of using a rebuilt WaterPump? Personally I'm not too keen on the ides, but what do ya'll think?

SprintCC

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
If the re-built water pump has a warranty, GO FOR IT. Re-built stuff is just as good as New stuff to me. I always get re-built parts from Autozone... I have not had a problem yet.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
With a warranty, use rebuilt parts; they're cheaper.

For instance, I've a lifetime warranty on barke pads for SWMBO's Suburban - changed them this last week for free! I think brake pads are an odd lifetime warranty item, but who am I to complain!! Got them from Kragen.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
just recently replaced mky '68 water pump and considered same - could buy Chinese one for $30, a rebuilt for $45 and a new Motorcraft for $55. went with Motorcraft and ride at ease. ust mky opoinion.

G

·
0 Posts
The only component reused in a rebuilt water pump is the pump casting, everything else is new.
Save your money and buy the rebuilt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts