Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I just purchased a 65 FB with 200ci engine with holley 1940. The short story is the car hasn't been worked on in years. It ran when I got it last week but not well. It was tough to start and stalled sometimes in the neighborhood. I took some time this weekend to improve it but have run into an issue and hope somebody can confirm my suspicions. It ran before but now when I just touch the accelerator, the engine dies. My guess is the carb needs to be rebuilt - bad/dryrotted accelerator pump

Compression 150ish on all cylinders
New spark plugs
Vacuum advance doesn't appear to be working on the distributor - when I disconnect the line to the carb there's no noticeable difference - considering petronix - should I still fix the advance?
Adjusted the max vacuum via the carb to get 21hg
Fuel filter and air filter haven't been changed in years (replacements ordered)
I haven't adjusted the timing on the distributor

To start the car I pump the accelerator 4-6 times and with the accelerator released I turn the key and it starts up right away - no issues. As soon as I touch the accelerator it dies. I'm used to seeing a spray of fuel in the carb when you hit the accelerator but there's more of a slight dribble in this car. Car won't start with the accelerator pressed.

Does this sound like a carb rebuild to you? That's my guess.

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
If the car has sat unused for long periods of time the carb is likely gummed up and rubber parts such as the accelerator pump diaphragm are likely rotten so yes, a carb rebuild is in order.
Does your engine have a Loadamatic distributor which is all vacuum advance and no centrifugal advance? The carb must have a Spark Control Valve (SCV) to work with that distributor.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
170 Posts
There's a ton of information on our 200ci engines over at Fordsix.com
I highly recommend reading their online articles for starts.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your engine have a Loadamatic distributor which is all vacuum advance and no centrifugal advance? The carb must have a Spark Control Valve (SCV) to work with that distributor.
Great question :) I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a ton of information on our 200ci engines over at Fordsix.com
I highly recommend reading their online articles for starts.

Enjoy!
Thank you DrC. I submitted my request to join their forum. While waiting for my approval I thought I'd start here :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Welcome. Glad to have another Mustang (or Ferrari) enthusiast in the area.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it looks like this may be an issue too. The distributor is a C5DF-12127-E. Appears to be a loadamatic. There doesn't appear to be a SCV onteh carb. I'll do some research on this one...hopefully, it's as easy as buying and installing one.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, it looks like this may be an issue too. The distributor is a C5DF-12127-E. Appears to be a loadamatic. There doesn't appear to be a SCV onteh carb. I'll do some research on this one...hopefully, it's as easy as buying and installing one.
I have a '66 with the 200 and Holley 1940. It does not have the SCV. You cannot buy just the SCV and install it in the carb. There are differences internally.

That being said, I rebuilt mine and the car runs pretty well. Still tweaking the dashpot and timing... I'm not sure how much better it would run with an SCV-equipped carb. I'm sure someone will weigh in on that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found an SCV at Mike's Carburetors in WA state. I bought one hoping it may fit. Here are photos of my carb and distributor. Are you saying the 1940 came in both a SCV and non-SCV configuration? If my we search is correct, the SCV woudl go in the port to the left in the first photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
Indeed...

Dad had a 4 headlight for a while when I was growing up. Is yours a 2 or 4? You've got a 347 in it? Cheaper maintenance for sure :)
No Ferraris in my immediate future, just the Mustang. I man can dream though.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Are you saying the 1940 came in both a SCV and non-SCV configuration? If my we search is correct, the SCV woudl go in the port to the left in the first photo.
I'm not any sort of expert, but I do believe that the 1940 could be had with or without a SCV. I've attached a pic of my carb, showing where the SCV 'would' go if it were so equipped. There are no threads for the valve to screw into.

The linked pic shows a shiny new SCV equipped 1940.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwibnd2YlYDlAhUEF6wKHRkfCp8QjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=http://65pony.blogspot.com/2013/07/holley-1940-1v-carburetor.html&psig=AOvVaw0GI2LyNtZiovrYvey3f5sr&ust=1570194691597309

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the Holley 1940 on my 65 200. It does not have the SCV. My distributor had already been replace with a 68 dual diaphragm advance. It was in bad shape. I ordered a rebuilt 68 single diaphragm advance from my local auto parts store. Before installing, I sent to Dan at Mustang Barn to recurve. He discussed my engine specs and did the work. The car runs great!

Looks like your choice is to find a carb with the SCV or change the distributor.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the Holley 1940 on my 65 200. It does not have the SCV. My distributor had already been replace with a 68 dual diaphragm advance. It was in bad shape. I ordered a rebuilt 68 single diaphragm advance from my local auto parts store. Before installing, I sent to Dan at Mustang Barn to recurve. He discussed my engine specs and did the work. The car runs great!

Looks like your choice is to find a carb with the SCV or change the distributor.
Well isn't that something...I'm sure there are tons of opinions on my predicament, but what are your thoughts? The car will be a short distance daily driver.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’m happy with my set up. The 1940 without the SCV is a simple carb and easy to tune. The 68 dizzy after I had it recurved works well. I’m partial to my setup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts