Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1967 Mustang Fastback GT 390 4 Speed One Owner, AC Car From Factory
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In love with this car I found, one owner since new and never left Houston TX, 81K orig miles, original owner didn’t like the lime gold so he painted very nice green, kinda like dark moss, everything still original on it and I was told that having an AC with 4 speed cars are very rare combo, S code and many nice options!!!!How rare are these 4 speed and GT along with AC, barely see AC with 4 speed mostly Auto.

Thanks. I do not know what is my plan for right now. Car drives great btw. Maybe drive it like it is and restore in the future, and no it wasn't cheap :(

Attachments

· Registered
3,010 Posts
Welcome.
A most excellent find. Really nicely optioned car.
I see the a/c and heating system seems to need a bit of work. My first piece of advice: get the Ford shop manual for the car. It is available on the net, amazon or any Mustang specific parts vendor.

Reactions: chillininnh

· Registered
480 Posts
Very nice. According to the Hagerty valuation tool;
  • The 4 speed adds 10% to value
  • The AC adds 6% to value
  • But the icing on the cake (for me) is that it’s rocking the 8 track! I just had my 8 track rebuilt and have been enjoying it.

Dcubedus

· Registered
3,112 Posts
Cool car, welcome.

· Registered
2,300 Posts
Nice car!

If it were mine I would not restore it, but rather freshen up things whenever time permits. That way you keep the originality and also skip having the car in pieces (which will most likely take longer and be more expensive than planned).

· Registered
6,439 Posts
Welcome, a cool and very rare car that is desirable.
I own a 67 convertible that is a factory 390 GT 4spd car. I'll try to find my MARTI Book by the numbers. for a 67 GT 390 vert they only made 940 vert 4spd, out of the 472,209 mustangs made. far less were GT.
When I find my book. I'll look at FB 390.

Decide how far you wanna take the resto, Cool if you keep it mostly stock. My good folks here to help.
If you decide to just clean it up, make it safe, my pet peeve is fix the horn position. Both horns (a high & low) should face downward.
Pic of mine, I added the dealer option of Tri-power to mine to make it just a bit more different.

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all and am pretty sure I will get lots of help from members here :) and am planning to refreshen it and drive it like it is, what tires you guys recommend cuz I believe I need new tires but gonna go with the same size that I have, what do you guys think?

· Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
448 Posts
Welcome- nice looking original Houston car with some great options. Make sure you drive it for a while before starting anything major so you can see how you like it as it is. If you need parts, you got someone local you can deal with, John's Mustang.

· Registered
3,010 Posts
If your tires are more than about 7 years old (check the date code on them), I won't even drive it to the tire store as old tires have been known to just come apart. Unfortunately, there are many threads on here about the unavailability of 14" and 15" performance tires. So just get a set of Cooper Cobras (or even BFG o_O) so you can drive it.
That takes us to the second step ... fix it and drive it! Make sure the brakes and the steering/suspension are in good shape. Then drive it. Find out what needs to be fixed and also what you don't like about the car so you can decide what to upgrade. Careful ... upgrading can become a rabbit hole that you fall in and never seem to be able to get out of!! Ask us all how we know. ;)

Reactions: Amer Salhi

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your tires are more than about 7 years old (check the date code on them), I won't even drive it to the tire store as old tires have been known to just come apart. Unfortunately, there are many threads on here about the unavailability of 14" and 15" performance tires. So just get a set of Cooper Cobras (or even BFG o_O) so you can drive it.
That takes us to the second step ... fix it and drive it! Make sure the brakes and the steering/suspension are in good shape. Then drive it. Find out what needs to be fixed and also what you don't like about the car so you can decide what to upgrade. Careful ... upgrading can become a rabbit hole that you fall in and never seem to be able to get out of!! Ask us all how we know. ;)
Thank you for the advises, I am going to change the tires first because I do not trust them and they look old, do you think I should just go with tires only or should I get Magnum 500 15X7 front and 15X8 rear with beefier tire like 215 or 225 front and 245 or 235 rear 60 R 15. Or just change the tire by them selves and keep the 14 diameter and current GT rim style on it. Thanks again

· Registered
3,010 Posts
Thank you for the advises, I am going to change the tires first because I do not trust them and they look old, do you think I should just go with tires only or should I get Magnum 500 15X7 front and 15X8 rear with beefier tire like 215 or 225 front and 245 or 235 rear 60 R 15. Or just change the tire by them selves and keep the 14 diameter and current GT rim style on it. Thanks again
I wouldn't buy new wheels just yet. If you want any performance tire, you'll eventually need to go to 17". If you know now FOR SURE that you just want a good street / weekend driver, then getting new wheels now would save you from buying a set of tires that you'll only use for a year or so.
I keep thinking about going to 17", but I'm too cheap to spend the money now with good Cooper tires (235/60-15 on 7x15) that are only 2 years old. When I need new tires, I might go 17", but that's a rabbit hole which can lead to bigger brakes, maybe even 4-wheel disc, maybe ... You see the problem! LOL.

Reactions: Amer Salhi

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't buy new wheels just yet. If you want any performance tire, you'll eventually need to go to 17". If you know now FOR SURE that you just want a good street / weekend driver, then getting new wheels now would save you from buying a set of tires that you'll only use for a year or so.
I keep thinking about going to 17", but I'm too cheap to spend the money now with good Cooper tires (235/60-15 on 7x15) that are only 2 years old. When I need new tires, I might go 17", but that's a rabbit hole which can lead to bigger brakes, maybe even 4-wheel disc, maybe ... You see the problem! LOL.
what size tire you would recommend keeping my current wheels. just tires, should I go with one size for all or rear a little bit beefier? I am looking at 4 Tires Cooper Cobra Radial G/T 215/70R14 96T A/S All Season for around $450 or $500 or should I get different size for rear?

· Registered
3,010 Posts
what size tire you would recommend keeping my current wheels. just tires, should I go with one size for all or rear a little bit beefier? I am looking at 4 Tires Cooper Cobra Radial G/T 215/70R14 96T A/S All Season for around $450 or $500 or should I get different size for rear?
I'd get one size. You can rotate the tires when you put enough miles on them (and smiles on your face).

· Registered
1,443 Posts
Nice find and welcome to the forum!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts