Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car was my fathers. It’s always been in the garage. It sounds amazing...has about 67k on it.
Also aside from the Mustang, There is what, looks to be a 302 boss engine in the little shed and a transmission to go with it. Can anyone tell me how to be sure that’s what it is????? I posted a few pics here of numbers on the shed engine. Not sure what they mean.
There is also a shiny rebuilt rear end for the Mustang sitting in the garage. He said it was a bigger one than is in the car now.
Also there is a original double vented hood in the little shed too. I understand it maybe from a Mach 1.
I really need some help figuring out what the motor is, ( the one in the shed) what the vented hood goes to, and what rear end that is, sitting in the garage. Thank you for any help. Also the motor in the shed will be for sale.

·
Hi, how ya doin
1,977 Posts
Welcome to VMF. The hood appears to be from a 71-73 Mustang. By the number in the picture the engine looks like it is from a 1973.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thanks for this info. Trying to figure out what motor it is, the one in the shed. There is also a full set of seats and glass for a mustang, and boxes of car related mustang parts. 5 huge boxes of years of mustang car rebuilding magazines and books.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
98 Posts
The car was my fathers. It’s always been in the garage. It sounds amazing...has about 67k on it.
Also aside from the Mustang, There is what, looks to be a 302 boss engine in the little shed and a transmission to go with it. Can anyone tell me how to be sure that’s what it is????? I posted a few pics here of numbers on the shed engine. Not sure what they mean.
There is also a shiny rebuilt rear end for the Mustang sitting in the garage. He said it was a bigger one than is in the car now.
Also there is a original double vented hood in the little shed too. I understand it maybe from a Mach 1.
I really need some help figuring out what the motor is, ( the one in the shed) what the vented hood goes to, and what rear end that is, sitting in the garage. Thank you for any help. Also the motor in the shed will be for sale. View attachment 744349 View attachment 744350 View attachment 744354 View attachment 744352 View attachment 744353
I really need some help figuring out what the motor is, ( the one in the shed) what the vented hood goes to, and what rear end that is, sitting in the garage. Thank you for any help. Also the motor in the shed will be for sale. View attachment 744349 View attachment 744350 View attachment 744354 View attachment 744352 View attachment 744353
D3 means 73

·
Premium Member
10,294 Posts
The engine is not a Boss 302 as it would have C8 (1968) or C9 (1969) casting numbers. There was no Boss engine in 1973. The last Boss was the 351 and it was 1971 only. I would assume your engine is a 351Cleveland.
The rear end is a 9". If the car originally came with a 302 it would have an 8".
So maybe this car was originally a 302 with an 8" rear end and your father planned to upgrade to a 351C with a 9" rear end. If you would post a photo of the Warranty Sticker found on the driver door or door jamb we can tell you all of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts