Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big air compressor and an indoor vented place to shoot. I'll probably be doing acrylic enamel and bc/cc urethanes. I don't mind spending big bucks for a good gun, but I don't know if I should get HVLP or conventional. Or which brand and model gun? What do you use? What do you recommend?

Coppertone's current condition:

http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
I would definitely go with a HVLP and one that is gravity feed vs siphon feed. There are many benefits to using gravity. It uses less air power, way easier to clean, and does use slightly less paint.

G

·
0 Posts
If your compressor can supply the volume of air required for an HVLP gun that would be the way to go.I have both DeVilbiss and Binks siphon feed guns, but I have used HVLP's for woodworking they use much less material and you don't have the overspray problem. I will be going to an HVLP for auto paint when I do the next car.

Greg B

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I've got a Devilbiss Pro Line gravity feed HVLP gun. Reasonably priced and works great. Just make sure you have enough airflow to power it, as they do use a lot of air.

The poster formerly known as JAV65

That's me on the left...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=43026383.jpg
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jim on 03/13/01 11:43 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
952 Posts
Here in our shop we paint industrial steel piping. We have converted to HVLP. Check out the Cobalt by Sharpe. It is inexpensive and good quality.

Layne

69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast

G

·
0 Posts
Ok, ok. I must admit, I'm the Old Milwaukee beer drinker of the group. And when it came time to paint my one (and possibly only car - bc/cc), I did a ton of research on paint guns, HVLP guns in general. I could've spent several hundred dollars on a gun, but decided to go with an Astro (HVLP) gravity feed gun - It cost under $100 and did an exceptional job. I used your standard craftsman 30 gallon/5hp compressor and built a custom 3/4" copper line with several in-line filters. One of the best tips I was given was use about 50 feet of hose (ideally, you might have a secondary air tank between your compressor tank and your gun to achieve the same goal) coiled up between the compressor and your filters (BTW, I used a toilet paper-style filtration system - much cheaper than the desicant units). This keeps the humidity and moisture from ever reaching your gun. Oh yes, and use a small, in-line screw-in filter at the bottom of your gun. I painted my 68 HT in July/August '98 in my garage in Dallas - no problems with moisture.

As far as the Astro goes, I think the are designed identically to one of the famous HVLP paint gun makers out there. I can't remember which one. There are many tips and accessories also available for the Astro.

No matter what make you chose, go with a gravity feed HVLP. That's what all the pros I know are using. And remember, good air filtration is key (along with the correct paint tip choice - but that's another school of hard knocks!) Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

G

·
0 Posts
I think you are getting some good advice. I have gone thru what you are looking at. I bought a 2 stage 5 HP compressor so I would have enough air for sand blasting. I bought a Sharpe Cobalt series HVLP gun with a 1.4mm tip. A 1.6 would probably be better for primer but I went with a 1.4. I have looked at the Taiwan Saito knockoffs and they look nice but I do not know any one personally that uses one. My next major purchase has to be an outside air supplied mask. Those BC-CC's are terrible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts