Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearing finishing assembly and considering a post paint application to prevent micro scratches. I have heard many views on this from dont touch to pricey wax jobs. I want to protect the new finish from those small micro scratches from car covers wiping off dust and the like. I have professional polishers if a large scratch occurs but looking to protect new blemish free clear coat. Paint is water based Dupont.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ceramic coating

+1 Been coating all my cars for the past 8 years. Coatings keep getting better and better. Some are self healing now. My detail guy says you can get 3-4 years daily driving out of some products. I plan to give him my current project before I put all the emblems on to make it a little easier. It will spend most of it's life in a garage with weekly cruises likely so I'm hoping it lasts a long time.

<style></style>

·
Registered
827 Posts
LOL, why are most solutions expensive.

There are lots of affordable sealants that look great and last quite a long time. 10 years ago when I was doing it myself I was using Klasse. Easy on and off and I would get a good 8+ months out of it. I also used a lot of Zaino for a few years. If you don't mind doing the work, hang out at a detailing site and read up on the latest sealants. Most new sealants are superior to wax for protection, not necessarily looks. And some do wax over sealants for that deep wet look.

<style></style><style></style><style></style>

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
I have never heard of this.....

Yes, it's out there under a couple of names. It's pricey but long term effective. It's available as a DIY'fer too.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
I would appreciate more information and experience about these "ceramic" paint coatings. I tend to be skeptical about such things and would like to get a complete picture before I pony up for the ceramic stuff. I'm seeing prices all over the place. So, I'm wondering if there's a difference in quality or a difference in hype.

When I try to find good information about ceramic coatings, I mostly find a bunch of infomercials which makes me even more skeptical.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Short discussion of the pro's and con's, not product specific. Some are obviously better than others and some of the stuff being sold looks a bit like snake oil.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Try Top Coat F11, works on paint , glass, trim, tires.
Amazing stuff!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
You can lock that car in a vault, you wont prevent micro marring unless you never touch it.

Seriously, anything that touches it will scratch it to some degree. Correct washing with the right towels, spray detailer to lubricate, and if you have to use a cover, make sure the car is clean before you cover it up.

No ceramic coating or wax will prevent micro marring.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This is the only thing that will prevent scratches on the clearcoat. All the coatings are just waxes and no magic wax or coating is harder or thick enough to abrade itself before getting to the clearcoat than stuff in the wild that will scratch the clearcoat. It's the old snake oil stuff dealers sell you IE Truecoat (Fargo).

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts