Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am painting with single stage paint for the first time. I like the stuff and you can play with it easier than the two-stage. Tonight I tried a different technique so as to reducet the amount of orange peel and increase the gloss. I set the gun up super rich with paint - really openned up the paint control knob, then painted with slower strokes of the gun. Also, I would paint about 5 or 6 passes, then go quickly back over what I painted (reverse direction) to even out the color and avoid "color banding" (light dark alternating stripes) The technique worked to blend things together and leave a very shiny, flat result with no discernible orange peel. The downside is that I ended up with some grotesque sags and runs on the lower face of the trunk lid! Oh well, I plan on sanding it all anyway over the weekend. If I can figure out how to lay out this thick of a coat without runs or sags, I will not have to color sand the end result - saving about 30 hours of time or more. Oh yeah, I openned up the fan pattern wider to compensate for the increased amount of paint coming out of the gun. Laid down enough paint to cover over some "pick-the-line-out-of-the-fresh-paint marks left by the tweezers.

The next step is to wet sand with 600 and a sanding block to get everything flat, sand out some crud, etc. and then I'll hit a few of the pieces one more time with a single coat, just to even out the paint coloring - no banding. Then, I'll hit all 16 pieces that are off the car with 2 coats of 50/50 color/clear coat. This will gloss up the finish and protect the color a little bit more, without having the shiny reflective surface of a clear coat. Also deepens the color and makes it look richer. The owner of the car did not go with my suggestion to put a light dusting of reflective gold particles in the 50/50 coat. Now that would look trick. No gold until the sun hit it. Like a gold pearl coat. Anyway, but for the sags and drips, I am happy with the promise shown by this technique.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Hey, it's great to experiment and learn something new. I kinda tried the same thing you did on my little s10 p'up. I was using a metallic flake acrylic enamel and it turned out good but for one panel. I got a paint guy to look at it and he said on single stage for the final coat to mix alot more reducer in for the top coat. That would allow the stuff to go on and spread out without drying so fast and making that nasty orange peel. Good luck on the finished job.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Isn't painting fun? Orange peel is generally caused by not enough paint being laid down. Runs and sags are caused by too much paint. The trick is to find the balance. A really good gun is very helpful too.

·
Registered
847 Posts
as far as keeping the line out what you are doing is called "cross - hatching " .

chris

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
A lot of folks dont know you can lay down TOO LITTLE paint.......one of my crew painted a bike he bought and it ended up very textured...I believe because of too light coats.

G

·
0 Posts
You have a sweet looking car. Is that an original Ford red for the year? Doesn't look like it. Also is it a single coat, and did you do yourself? Anyway it looks real nice! I hope my 66 coupe comes out looking that nice. I was hoping to finish with it this summer, since I teach and I had the summer off. Wrong! I am about 2 months behind schedule, but I've decided to enjoy working and restoring Betty, instead of treating it like a "Job". Later - Dave

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
The name of the color is Emberglo, which is the original color of the car. I built the whole car myself including paint. It's PPG Acrylic Urethane base/clear.

Thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to back off the paint flow a bit and wait more time between coats....

each spray pattern should have a half way overlap so as to cover the other spray patterns (this way you won't get ANY dry spots)

It is very easy to get carried away but you have to fight the feeling......let the coats dry for longer periods of time touch the masked areas to test ofr tackiness.....I mean real tackiness before you start the subsequent coats.

I got only two runs when clear coating the Scarabe Green (almost black)

One was the shelby style trunklid right at the spoiler drop off above the tail light panel. The other was at the rocker panel
but no biggie....

I am water sanding with 1200 grit wet.....

I will then sand it all with 2000 grit and start polishing with 3M imperial microfinishing compound while spraying water as it is buffing to make the grit in the compund alot finer (minimizing
swirl marks) Then work my way up to the clearcaot machine glaze
and finally the hand glaze.......

The hood and roof are done and look veeeeery nice....can't wait to wax the car with Meguiars #24

1 - 9 of 9 Posts