Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the horns that are the nice 'correct' ones to complete the repair of that system in the 65. I added a relay and used the regular wire to the horns to activate the relay. The relay part worked great. What didn't was the HI horn. After a short troubleshoot, the horn has ~3.9 Ohms from the lead to the giant rivet that holds on the bracket, and OL (infinite) between the rivet and the bracket which is the ground connection. I know what happened here. It is definitely a manufacturing issue. The paint appears to be a powder coat because of how much it fought back trying to clear off the back of the bracket for good electrical contact with the chassis. The bracket must have been coated in a way that prevented the rivet from making electrical contact. Usually in this type of construction a piece of tape or a sticker is used to prevent paint from getting on the part that needs electrical connectivity. Guess they ran out. The bracket being fully painted should also have been a clue. Maybe I was just lucky with the LO horn having bit into the paint when built or something. Time to go through the receipts and see what comes of it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think this has come up before on the site. Don't recall what that poster ended up doing. I think I would find an inconspicous point, removed the paint and add a bit of solder to complete connection.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think this has come up before on the site. Don't recall what that poster ended up doing. I think I would find an inconspicous point, removed the paint and add a bit of solder to complete connection.
I remember the thread well. I suggested the OP place a small tack weld as shown in the picture below (red dot). He did and reported that it resolved his ground issue.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah. I know that's the fix. Point is I shouldn't have to do that. Fortunately for me, I have a baseball bat sized iron for heat sinks that will get the job done. And real solder guarded jealously and appropriated when located.
It's an easy fix manufacturing wise. Mask the part correctly before paint.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a premium priced part. Not just your $10 off the wall generic replacement. Just sayin.'

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Scott Drake Part??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts