Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the new Pretronix III set up and like everyone else I looked for that infamous Pink wire , but of course none was found . Mine was red with a green stripe ! The wiring diagrahm shows pink , but I am sure at that time they were out of pink wire and used what ever they had in stock.

My only point with this thread is to make sure , ever one knows you can't always depend on what Ford said in there manuals ! This I am sure everyone has figured out or will , some time down the road.

One of Fords Better Idea's always keep you guessing

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Did you check the wires voltage with a meter? Someone might have changed it out already.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The pink resister wire is on the cabin side of the main disconnect, underneath the dashboard between the ignition switch and the firewall. The red-green wire is on the engine compartment side of the main disconnect, between the firewall and the coil, and is not a resister wire.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Ford only made that resistor wire in pink. Period.

It's not a regular wire!

So if it's not pink, you're looking at the wrong wire or someone's already changed it.

-Matt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh it's back there. It even says on it do not cut.. It's light pink of that matters check to see what color goes to your coil if that helps

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
My 67 did not have a pink wire. I bought it 1975, so I'm pretty sure it was not messed with before I got it. The green and red wire went all the way to the ign. switch. I ended up pulling apart the back of my ignition switch and soldering directly to the post.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My 67 did not have a pink wire. I bought it 1975, so I'm pretty sure it was not messed with before I got it. The green and red wire went all the way to the ign. switch. I ended up pulling apart the back of my ignition switch and soldering directly to the post.
Like you mine was not pink and it had not been changed either. It was Red with green stripe all the way to the switch. WE checked and rechecked by two people so.
We checked it with a meter to make sure and it read like it was a resistance wire. We installed the new wire and a whole differant reading.
So like I said Ford used a differant wire and thats not out of the norm.
By the way my car was made the first month of 1969 , why knows why they do what they do.

And oh by the way , we do a Lot , I mean a lot of furnace repair , boilers also and there wiring diagrams are also color coded , and guess what . They some times have the wrong colors shown on there diagrams. so it happens just not that often but enough to keep you thinking and never to assume.

·
Registered
792 Posts
How do you like the III? I have one and am very happy with it. Just wanted to hear your thoughts. Did you have points before or what did you replace?

Any noticable changes?

Kind of scary the first couple of time you hit the limiter!

Nate

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you like the III? I have one and am very happy with it. Just wanted to hear your thoughts. Did you have points before or what did you replace?

Any noticable changes?

Kind of scary the first couple of time you hit the limiter!

Nate
Well the ignition system is great so far , car started right up and idled well after sitting all winter , Haven't had a chance to drive it yet , we still have 3 feet of snow here. I had points and tried to start the car this winter just to warm it up , it would not start and I didn't want to fool with it . So it's looking like it will be just fine. From what i have read and heard it will be one heck of an inprovement to the point set up.
I left the rev limiter at factor setting as my wife has a lead foot and don't want her blowing this thing up :>)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts