Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to gauge the interest on a new project we're working on.
If there's enough interest in these we'll add them to our product line. So let me know what you think!

This will be a custom door sill/scuff plate for the 65-68 coupe/fastbacks. Convertibles would be a seperate run.
The door sill will follow the same shape of the stock ones except it will be made out of a decently thick gauge aluminum .040 or .050 and have a polished finish.
No designs or stampings for a nice clean look.
You could of course add the Ford style door sill emblems to them if you wanted to.
Not sure on pricing yet but I would like to keep it below $50 for the pair. It might be a hair lower or higher, won't know untill I get a final quote for a production run.

So let me know what you think. ::

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I thought that something similiar was being made. At least the dude at the local mustang supplier stated that he could get some polished aluminum sil plates.

But to answer your question...I know that I'd be interested in replacing my sill plate with a solid aluminum one.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Trouble might be interested, it would look good with the accessory sill plates I have for him. ::

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked and wasn't able to find any through the usual vendors.
That's why I thought it would be a good project to do and would go well with our line of brushed aluminum inalys for the dash/glove box.
I'll have to check around some more also.
Thanks,

·
7,025 Posts
I've looked for these in the past myself, and I've never seen a set. I believe Ford Racing makes them for late models but nothing for vintage cars.

I don't know how well they'd sell but count on me being interested. I guess I'd be in the convertible run.

Phil

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phil, maybe you could help me out since you have a vert.
Is there any difference that you can tell that needs to be done for door sills on verts.
I noticed that they list verts as having a different door sill.
Do you happen to know if it's just cosmetic or an actual design change.
If it's just a cosmetic thing then the door sill wil fit all models.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We'll make a whole line of polished products for you then Jester.
Polished headliner, package tray, dashpad. ::

·
7,025 Posts
Well...I'm guessing it's different. IIRC the kickpanel is different, the seat riser is DEFINITELY different.

Give me a couple of dimensions off a coupe/fastback and I'll check it against my vert. I've replaced mine. If I kept the old set I'll give them to you...but I doubt I did.

Phil

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
MAJOR difference. 'Verts have much thicker inner rockers so the scuff plate has a whole different shape on the inside edge.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I thought.
Just have to do two different ones then.
For the 69+'s. Well they could be done also.
All depends on pricing which I should know by next week.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
They sound cool...

I'm in...The 66 needs new ones...What about Allen heads for the screws? Stamped flames? My daughter's car would like that...

Mel

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have searched for something like this as well (even made a post about it here on VMF a while back CLICK HERE ). I was going to try to fab something up, but this idea is around number 10,000 on the things to do list. So I would be definately interested.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts