Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. i live in the far west suburbs and i need someone to help repair/replace a shock tower and some other fender apron work on my '67. I'm looking for any recommendations of good shops in the area and/or someone that could possibly make a house call since my car does not run/drive?

any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
309 Posts
My '69 is currently at Hotrod in Schiller Park. This shop turned out a Great 8 Finalist a few years back so the quality of work has to be quite high. I've also used Mustang Restorations in Dundee.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shock tower repair-replacement is major stuff, make sure you dont just hand it over to anybody for that type of job. Stick with someone that knows mustangs for these type of repairs .

Whats wrong with it, rust, damage or cracking?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a great body man. he has done 3 mustangs for me at my shop in elgin il. 64 convertable, 70 mach 1 and working on a 72 mach1. you can see these cars anytime. he can install any sheet metal you might need.
bill pardell
708-220-0507 cell

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no rust, but the passenger side cracked at some point and whoever fixed it really did a number on it. complete hack job. so i need it cleaned/straightened or replaced. It's so bad that the upper a-arm is WAY out of alignment.

also the metal around the master cylinder has a bunch of holes punched in it. not rust, just drilled out holes. i have no idea what these guys were trying to do.

the last kicker is that they removed the vin from the drivers side apron, and welded/hacked in a piece of metal in it's place. it's pretty bad. but i do still have the original VIN on the passenger side.

so basically i want to clean all this up 'cause it's driving me nuts!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am out your way tomorrow but my time is very tight. I will be in Geneva about 1 and then to Midway to fly to east coast on a 7pm flight. (now you guys know why it took 5 years) Your project in not to be taken lightly. The shock towers are critical to get right. Shelby didn't reinforce these suckers for no reason. The car has to be fixtured in some way. I have the dimensions for the chassis as well. Drilling out all the welds is required, prep old and new pieces, try to duplicate the factory welds with a mig is quite doable. No weekend project unless you are really prepared.

Drop me a response tonight if I should contact you while on the road tomorrow.

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
definately, if you could stop by, that would be great. sent you a pm.

sorry i didnt respond sooner...

cell: 847-732-7587.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts