Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, looking at this forum got me interested in my mustang after a long, long hiatus. I have a 67 coupe that was my first car back in High School. It's a relatively rust free car. I took it apart about 10 years ago to take care of some rust under the battery and ended up changing core support and went through the front suspension as well. New global west uppers and their boxed lowers, the tubular ones weren't available when I bought them, and their strut rods. So, after putting the new sheet metal and suspension on, the car sat for a bit. I would work on it sporadically over the next few years and I would always run into a road block that would stall the project. I put a new Ford 5.0 long block in and swapped out the C4 for a built T5, new brakes and rebuilt the 8" with 3.89's and a Currie TSD. I also bought a new Flaming river steering box for the early column but, I couldn't find a 67 pitman arm with a 1" sector shaft for manual steering. Work got in the way after college and this time it sat for about 10 years.

Well, we get to a few weeks ago and I see another red 67 on the street and start thinking. I start looking at all of the old sites and start pulling together parts lists to get this thing back on the road. There seem to be many more options now for pretty much everything. I'm planning to turn it into street/track car with it being more track and less street. Good brakes are a must. I had previously replaced the KH 4 pistons with SSBC parts and used them for all of 5K miles. I'm going to probably be selling off a lot of what I "upgraded" back in the day.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and introduce everyone to my project.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Welcome aboard Bill and welcome back to the Mustang world. We always like pics!

You might want to look at TransAm style '67/'68 specs and pics for some ideas if you're going primarily track. Lowered, 'hunkered' look, 1" Shelby/Arning drop, etc.:

Jon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As it sat, collecting parts and used for storage for the past 10 years

Front End. Complete with plenty of cobwebs.

Rear End

Rear quarter shot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome aboard Bill and welcome back to the Mustang world. We always like pics!

You might want to look at TransAm style '67/'68 specs and pics for some ideas if you're going primarily track. Lowered, 'hunkered' look, 1" Shelby/Arning drop, etc.:

Jon
Pretty much the exact look I'm going for! I'm still up in the air on what body panels to go with. I kinda like the cobra automotive front end since it cleans everything up. I am going to need flares and want to run a pretty big tire front and rear.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Looks like you've already got a Panhard bar (custom made?) and long studs for the rear.
Is that a 280SEL I see hiding in the background?

Get to those wheelwells with a broom, hope you don't have recluse spiders in your area.
Jon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's Maier Racing panhard bar. I think it went in about 8 years ago. I want to revisit the welds since they aren't the prettiest. Yep, the rear is completely rebuilt. I got long studs in the front as well but, they are Moroso. I took to the wheel wells with compressed air and broom. Luckily no living spiders that I saw.

Good eye. It's actually a 76 450 SEL. Pretty clean too. Too bad it's not a 6.9. It's my dad's old car that he's had since new. It's been sitting for about 5 years. This garage seems to attract old cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parts buying has begun. Just ordered a Unisteer manual rack. Time to start selling parts. As soon as I can, I'll start posting in the classifieds. I'm going to have a brand new Flaming River Box and fairly new brakes for sale soon!

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts