Vintage Mustang Forums banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Curious....Why stop the raptor liner where you did and not go all the way to the back of the trunk pan and cover the wheel wells too?
The SorT suspension frames are a very tight fit on the chassis and I was afraid that the Raptor Liner might cause them to not fit correctly. I also prefer the smooth metal look. I didn't spray the wheel wells because I have some 3M rubberized undercoating for the wheel wells. Yesterday I had it out in the sun to speed the cure time a little. The effect of the gray metallic along with the texture of the Raptor Liner is almost blinding.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Lizard skin insulation is in. 2 heavy coats of the sound and two heavy coats of the heat control with an additional heat coat on the roof. It's probably going to take about three days to dry due to all the wet weather we have now. I initially bought 4 gallons of each type but only used 2 gallons of each, so if someone wants the extra Lizard Skin and the spray gun, it's listed in the forum want ad section. The photos are of just the sound control coat.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Test fit of the Right side suspension, I'm running the fuel lines on the Right side, because that's where the carb inlet is. Need to plan for the brake line and fuel lines, since they both pass on the frame rail. I'm using a return style regulator that will be mounted on the right front apron. I may have to fab the right side brake line bracket. Once I get the brake and fuel lines done, the car is coming off the rotisserie.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Left side in place for a test fit. I had to order some longer bolts for the upper coil over mount, I'm using a billet aluminum plate on the top and it's a little thicker than the usual export brace. All in all, Shaun's suspension fits like a dream, even in an aftermarket body. The primer is where the rotisserie mounted when the car was painted. It's now sitting on jack stands.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Installed the struts and A arms today, preliminary measurements showed 2.5º Neg camber and 4.5º pos caster. I used the 4º camber shim on the lower arm. What is interesting is the camber goes to -6º when in full compression. I guess the Arning drop works. Haven't torqued anything down yet, I like to wait until the weight is on the wheels.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Dam, That 9 inch is heavy! Got the trailing arms bolted in to the housing. It will have to sit there like this for a couple of days until my back quits hurting.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Did you purchase the rear end with the brackets? Or install them yourself?
It's a SorT rear end. I didn't have one so it was just logical to get it complete from them since I'm using their suspension.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Got the pedal hanger, hydroboost unit, clutch master and linkage installed. The M/C is from a Vette of an unknown year but it's aluminum and the reservoir isn't angled and the outlets are on the fenderwell side, and will mate up with the Wilwood proportioning valve. This was just a test fit, some of it will have to come out when I make up the lines. Had a friend come over to help with all this, since my back is still not well from fitting the 9" rear axle.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Test fit my wheel and tire package, they are Goodrich TA2 225/45X17 on VWW 17X8, with 4.75 BS in front, and 255/40X17 in back on 17X9 with 5.5 BS.
May have to roll the front fenders, but have lots of room in the rear, could have gone with a 17X10 wide wheel in the back with the 5.5 BS
The suspension is at full drop in the photos.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Brake lines and 3 link is in. Still have to terminate the brake lines at the frame for the flex line, just waiting on the brackets. The 3 link is in, this is not a job for one person. I was holding the rear end in place to bolt in the link, while operating the floor jack with my foot.
I'm using a AC 3/4" master cyl, plumbed into a Wilwood adjustable portioning and combination valve.

Third link bolts in on top of the rear end housing. Not much room to work under there.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Needed a place to mount the clutch master reservoir, looked at several examples, then did it this way. It's mounted to the hydroboost unit just behind the brake master cylinder, using a bracket made from some 6061 1/8" aluminum plate, then powder coated. It's out of the way and makes use of some wasted space.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Been working on the battery relocation, the box is bolted down and I'll start laying out the electrical circuits. The starter solenoid will be located in the rear, as well as the fuel pump relay and a master cutoff. I'm going to fab a cover out of some .040 aluminum

121 - 136 of 136 Posts