Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some new Dynacorn quarter extensions. They fit a bit better than the stock ones do to the new quarters. Still a bit low toward the trunk side. What do you do get them to fit perfect? How's the trunk gap look?

P

·
0 Posts
Trunk lid should be closer at the backside. try bolting the extensions on and let's see them. Don't forget the rubber seal.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm they are bolted on. That's why I was wondering how to get them to fit right. I don't have the rubber seals yet. Maybe I need to move the filler panel to the rear?

P

·
0 Posts
Then at the inside bottom of the extensions, what is keeping the extension from going farther in? It's not the top as that is gapped.

P

·
0 Posts
From that view, you can clearly see the extension is not in far enough. The edge is not inline with the trunk/quarter gap. Something seems amiss in the area I mentioned as to not let the quarter come around, and in, far enough.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Wow, thats a shame when you buy new aftermarket parts and they fit so poorly. I have seen how much work you have been doing on this poor car! The 1/4 gaps to the trunk look pretty bad to start with. Petes right about the trunk needing to be a little tighter at the upper rear body panel. Then, I think you are going to be cutting, welding, grinding and filling on those 1/4's...then the extensions. Keep at it, now is the time to get the gaps as perfect as you can.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never done one before so I figure why not do it right. Kinda stuck right now though. The trunk to quarter gap is actually pretty good. I know I have to cut the quarters where they jut into the trunk lid. Been holding off on that till I got my new extensions to see the big picture. That will close the gap even more because it's holding them out right now. How close should the trunk be to the filler panel?

P

·
0 Posts
No more than 3/16" at the rear. I'm not there . . but whatever isn't allowing the extension to come around enough and allow a flush fit to the rear of the quarter, needs to be "massaged".

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes sense I guess. Here's a couple of more pics. Wish I was there or you were here, either way. You'd have this done and I'd be driving it by now. At this rate they will take my license because I'm too old to drive before I even get to start the thing up.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to you, Pete, I think the issue is here. Looks like they are hitting the tail panel and not allowing them to come in. Pics aren't the best but check these out and see what you think. If anyone has a pic of this area they would care to share I'd appreciate it.

P

·
0 Posts
Sure looks like it. Since it is just screwed on, remove the tail light panel.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Okay. I used a couple of 3/16 tile spacers to get the gap right at the filler panel. And pushed a bit on the ends of the quarter panels(not sure what that part is called). How's it looking now? Still have a bit more massaging to do. Took these pics before some of some other tweaking I did. Looks even better than this now, but I need to take it all apart again and do some grinding and painting of the wheel houses where I had to split and weld them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts