Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and kids bought me a new kenwood stero for Mustang. Any thoughs on where and how to install it. I was thinking the glove box or maybe in the console don't thinkit would look right in the spot where the radio goes would like to put an original style radio there

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I'm assuming you got a standard "Din" sized model. It's pretty popular to put them in the glove box but those are made from cardboard.

·
Registered
446 Posts
what year is your car? If its 67 or 68 I would put it in the original spot. You can buy a new housing.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
"flipout31" I believe we had this conversation last week. Those DIN housings do NOT fit cars with CONSOLES as the console itself fills the spot where the radio bezel/housing mounts.

To the original poster, if your car is a 65/66, unfortunately you'll find that the console is not wide enough to mount your new stereo. Glove box is your (not so good) best option.

- Gord

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
If your car is a pseudo Restomod vehicle or if the PO already cut the dash for a previous stereo, I would not hesitate but to cut the dash further to work with a DIN. I did it to ours for the two above reasons and never regretted it. If so I wanted to keep it ever so boringly original and had a console doesn't sound like there too much choice but to do something with the jockey box (sorry...glove box).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
65/66 I built a custom center console for gauges and my CD player. not hard at all and you could do a short one just to house your CD player if you didn't want a full length one. PM me if you want some pics!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I didn't check back with that post. I didn't see your reply until now. I wasn't aware of the difference.....sorry about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts