Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 9" housing from currie and i need to get it painted. I was just wondering what type of paint everyone recommends for this. Would regular rattle can stuff from lowes be ok or do i need something special?

also any recommendations on what leaf springs to purchase? I was going to stop by NPD this week and pick some up but they have a few different options, including a 1" lowering spring. Im am doing the shelby drop on the front so i think i am going to want to lower the rear as well to make the stance look good but i dont want to lower it too much. any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Rattle can paint should be fine unless your looking for show results. As far as the leaf springs be carefull buying lowering springs because you are doing the Shelby drop. Your car will not be lowered much more that 3/8" in the front. I always like the looks of the Mustangs with a little rake to them anyway. Unless you want a very firm ride stay away from the 5 leafs. Your best be is just go with a set of stock replacements.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Personally if I had a bare housing that was new I'd powder coat it. You get what you pay for. I have 1" lowering blocks in the rear and 1 coil cut out of my front springs (620#) and you can see how mine sits with a bit of a rake to it.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I just had the rear housing on my 70 Mach 1 powdercoated. It was pretty grubby and only cost $100. Best money I ever spent.
Ken

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will look into getting it powder coated, sounds like the best idea.

cant wait to get this all set up and installed so i can get it back on its own feet, it will be nice to be able to roll it out of the garage for the first time in a long time.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The powder coating rout is the way I would recamend,durable and looks great.I haven't done mine yet but will have it done this spring.69mcode that's a sharp looking car by the
way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
npd has 2 spring rates available. the stock one is 85 and the other is a GT competition spring listed at 110. Should i stick with the 85 stock replacement or go for the 110 rate. im guessing the 110 will give a stiffer ride? This will be an occasional driver, mostly weekends, so i want something to handle nice, but not something I will worry about racing.
Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
Stock springs will be good for a driver/cruiser. Invest in some good gas shocks and you'll be happy. KYB or Koni's are a good choice. Glad you like the Mach1.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Use Rustoleum 7777. Very durable finish and it is a satin.

For the springs - use the 4.5. You will never have wheel hop with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts