Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my original 8" rear has been growling for a while now so I bought a prebuilt pumpkin from TJ whom lists on eBay and I read about on this forum. I live about 45 minutes from him so I drove to pick up a Trac-Lok with 3.25:1 ratio. I swapped it out last Saturday morning but to my surprise I get whining on deceleration. I called TJ and he said that it's fairly normal but if it is too bad he will exchange it for me. However I assume I'll have to redo the swapping out which wasn't fun. He said it may get better with more miles run. Did the brake in he suggested with the tight turns and I get no chatter but the whine is irritating to say the least. Have others experienced this whine and should I really expect it the get quieter? I put 80W90 gear oil, non-synthetic along with the additive he gave me. Would heavier weight oil help?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have heard of quite a few aftermarket lockers/traction diffs that make noise like that. It may get quieter with miles but not by much. I would not change the oil to a different weight either, that will start to cause other problems.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
When I put in my 3:55 posi pumpkin I didn't have any whine, but it could be a factor of the gears, etc.

Putting more miles on it could help. Did you ask after how many miles or months would TJ still do a s swap for you?

To make putting in or taking out the pumpkin easier try using a transmission jack like they have at Harbor Freight. You just put a pillow on the jack, put the pumpkin on the pillow, jack it up and roll it onto the threads.

I don't think putting in heavier oil would be much help

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I'm inclined to say it is the setup, however non OEM 8" gears are notorious for being NOISY. There are even disclaimers on the box of top name brands. It has to do with the gear cut and no one has been able to match Visteon.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I run Richmond gears, no whine. They made a barely noticable bit of noise when they were brand new but none after that. I am more inclined to think that perhaps there is something in the pinion bearings. Either one or the other is worn, the preload isn't good, the depth is off a little or something.

·
Registered
413 Posts
A whine on deceleration is usually a result of incorrect ring to pinion contact on the coast side of the gears. This is not likely to get better with time, or miles. In all honesty, it will cause no problems other than a little noise. If it's bothering you, I'd seek a warranty repair.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to ask TJ for how long he'd still replace. He stated that aftermarket gears depending on quality are not machined to the tightest tolerance which will cause whine. He sets them up to favor the drive side over the coast side since you are more often on that side of the gear. I figure to give it a hundred miles or more and see how it is; if still bothersome I ask him to replace. Yes I'll buy a transmission jack in the meantime. Thanks for the input; I hope it gets better or I just stop hearing it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have to ask TJ for how long he'd still replace. He stated that aftermarket gears depending on quality are not machined to the tightest tolerance which will cause whine. He sets them up to favor the drive side over the coast side since you are more often on that side of the gear. I figure to give it a hundred miles or more and see how it is; if still bothersome I ask him to replace. Yes I'll buy a transmission jack in the meantime. Thanks for the input; I hope it gets better or I just stop hearing it.

For noises I don't want to hear I just turn up the 1000 watt stereo. :grin2:

Reactions: Blues Power

·
Registered
35,308 Posts
A whine on deceleration is usually a result of incorrect ring to pinion contact on the coast side of the gears. This is not likely to get better with time, or miles. In all honesty, it will cause no problems other than a little noise. If it's bothering you, I'd seek a warranty repair.
^^^ This and the cut of some gears. Of course, it could also be too much radial runout in the pinion support bearing too. Going to a more viscous lubricant isn't going to help nor are other additives, other then bananas which will make it quiet long enough to trade it in.

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
^^^ This and the cut of some gears. Of course, it could also be too much radial runout in the pinion support bearing too. Going to a more viscous lubricant isn't going to help nor are other additives, other then bananas which will make it quiet long enough to trade it in.
I always heard to put sawdust in it before the quick sale.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Somethings you learn here and some, well, you just shouldn't...:grin2:

Bananas, really?

Allen

·
Registered
49 Posts
Things that have never made gear wine go away for me.
Time.
Heaver oil.
Miracle additives.
Hope.
AC/DC on full blast.(black Sabbath might do it)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Which is exactly why you should insist on using a quality brand of gear sets.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Pack it full of bacon rind.

Won't help but it sure does smell good!

Rick

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Sold hundreds of sets of Richmond gears for 9" diffs at JBA. Gear whine was a frequent complaint with that brand.
Richmond uses very hard materials and their hardening process is different in my opinion. Not BAD different, just
different.
Whomever is having luck with Richmond, consider buying lotto tickets. We found nothing is as quiet as FORD-sourced
gear sets. Very forgiving construction and materials. I wouldn't call them soft though. Visteon wasn't the supplier when
the cars were built originally; they didn't even exist. (born in mid-2000)
Ford had a foundry but I think the gears came from Dana or a similar supplier. Whomever was the supplier, they knew
what the hell they're doing, that's for sure.

Generally, once it whines it always whines. If you catch it before the gears take a set, sometimes you can quiet them
down via adjustment. It's possible to get bearings so cheap that you can have runout and noise issues. Stick with
Timken, SKF or BCA/NTN. You'll find their quality is pretty good, particularly if the product says Made In USA.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Marvel mystery oil. I used to hang out with some friends that were really big into dirt track racing. I'm surprised that their 2 drivers didn't take a shot of marvel mystery oil before they got in the cars. The older guy that was the head of this crew seemed to pour that stuff into every hole in the cars except maybe the radiators.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
That reminds me. I gotta put a drop or two down the oil fill on my 239 flathead.......

Attachments

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Whine will not go away. Live with it or have the set replaced.

Paul

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sold hundreds of sets of Richmond gears for 9" diffs at JBA. Gear whine was a frequent complaint with that brand.
Richmond uses very hard materials and their hardening process is different in my opinion. Not BAD different, just
different.
Whomever is having luck with Richmond, consider buying lotto tickets. We found nothing is as quiet as FORD-sourced
gear sets. Very forgiving construction and materials. I wouldn't call them soft though. Visteon wasn't the supplier when
the cars were built originally; they didn't even exist. (born in mid-2000)
Ford had a foundry but I think the gears came from Dana or a similar supplier. Whomever was the supplier, they knew
what the hell they're doing, that's for sure.

Generally, once it whines it always whines. If you catch it before the gears take a set, sometimes you can quiet them
down via adjustment. It's possible to get bearings so cheap that you can have runout and noise issues. Stick with
Timken, SKF or BCA/NTN. You'll find their quality is pretty good, particularly if the product says Made In USA.
The only local guy I know of that does gear swaps says he'll only guarantee them to run quiet if you use Ford gears. He doesn't like to install any other brands... He will, but he won't guarantee them not to whine.

The problem is that I can't seem to find new Ford gears for the 8 inch... do they still sell them? If not, what would be the next best bet for quiet running gears?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts