Vintage Mustang Forums banner

New School or Old School motor

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process if a MAJOR re-build. I have a 68 coupe, original 6 cyl w/ 3 speed, that was tubbed, narrowed back in the 90's. Well, it's time to do it right and finish her.

I have put in a Heidt's front IFS w/ disc brakes & power steering. I am currently putting in a 4 link in lieu of the leaf springs. This will be a 6 speed manual.

The question I have is...do I go with a crate motor with fuel injection, or a 347/363 with a 6-71 blower? I was planning the blower path, but this will be my daily driver. I know that the blower adds heat and sucks gas like no one's business. I am near the point that I will be ordering the transmission for fitting and don't know if I should order the bare block for the blower path, or just use my current 302 block for fitting for the injected version.

Thanks for your replies.
MustangSidePartsEverywhere.jpg

·
Registered
900 Posts
A 6-71 blower creates the biggest WOW factor and is my choice of the two. Unfortunately that means cutting a hole in the hood.
I’d also go with a 351 instead of a stroked 302.

I’m better at tuning carburetors than a ECU, so no EFI for me.

·
Registered
687 Posts
For a daily driver, EFI seems like a no-brainer. Given what you're doing to the car, I would even think something in the Coyote spectrum would be a solid option. Lots of power, lots of daily driving reliability.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Coyote option is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I would rather put that extra $10-12k somewhere else.

The engine I have run with all these years was a 302 with a tunnel ram w/ 2x365's, so cutting a hole in the hood is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Fuel injection will be better in every way for a daily driver....those blowers are pretty terrible for efficiency....I don't even like centrifugal superchargers, but even they are better than blowers. If you want reliable boost...turbochargers are the most efficient way to go.

·
Registered
35,537 Posts
There are several ways to add supercharging without the height and other complications involved with a 6-71.

The 6-71 was designed for a specific function, and I like them in that job. Use a supercharger that was designed for a car.

Single 6-71-

Twin 6-71-

Reactions: prostang

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
To me, nothing is better than a blower sticking out of the hood.
But I am not normal. o_O
Russ

Reactions: prostang

·
Registered
314 Posts
For a daily driver a 6-71 although super cool may not be practical. You could do a weiand 177 blower on a 302 or 302 stroker. You could make over 500 horsepower pretty easily and have really good low end torque and midrange. You could also put a throttle body efi like the holley sniper or fittech on it and have good driveability. You could put a paxton or vortech supercharger on it and do the same. Any of these supercharger options make enough power to split a stock block. If you want to make BIG power you could use an aftermarket block or upgrade to a windsor.

For a daily driver (meaning driven in the rain) you could also get either of the blowers to fit under a stock hood.

I always wanted to do a weiand but I could not bring myself to drop the coin on the blower, an aftermarket block, a new transmission and really good heads to feed it...

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Paxton blower has a more Mustang theme to it and this decision could better attract other Mustang enthusiast whenever you decide to sell your car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Paxton blower has a more Mustang theme to it and this decision could better attract other Mustang enthusiast whenever you decide to sell your car.
This car won't be sold.

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I don't see many people putting that style of blower on cars much any more. feels more like an 80's/90's thing to me. since you don't have towers, why not just put a stroked 351 based motor and leave it at that?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Both. A 4-71 and fuel injection. I kick myself for not buying a kit back when they were 1K...

The other option is to go with fuel injection and then once the electric blowers have been out for a little longer toss one of them on. They are pricey though compared to a supercharger. Not the cheapie ebay ones that don't work but the real ones with 3 phase motors and a big controller.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Seeing as how you no longer have shock towers. and the only reason to do that is to make room for more engine. More engine is the answer

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
You can have a Dart block with AFR heads and all premium internals for about $8000 from Fordstrokers.com It will get you between 500 to 600 HP depending on what you want. Anywhere from a 363 to a 427.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If 400 HP is enough, I would go with the 347 with FI. A great fun to drive weekend or daily driver. I have gone down the Coyote route, it is expensive in ways I never considered, but I a committed to the build. It all comes down to what you want and how you intend to use the car. The more exotic you make it, the less it becomes a everyday car, just my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts