Vintage Mustang Forums banner

New seat covers for my vert

1K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  daves67ss 
#1 ·
Looking at installing new covers on the 97 vert seats in the front of my 67 vert. I am curious to know if any one has used the 97 vert rear seat covers on a 67 vert. Rear seat

#4 ·
I haven't tried what you're doing, but I can say that on my '95 convertible the OEM leather seat covers were glued to the foam. Just something to keep an eye out for since it's not going to be as easy as just cutting off some hog rings like the 60s seats.

My upholstery guy was not amused.

#5 ·
Ordered new seat covers last week & had 1 of the new seat foam replacements come in today. Funny thing is the LMR site listed them as in stock & shipped tommorow.

So I guess it must be true that not everything on the internet is true.

Guess I'll make a run to HF for some hog rings & pliers one day this next week . Then when those shipped next day seat covers get here maybe i can get the front ones on.

#7 ·
I CAN do upholstery, but when it comes to my Mustangs, I take the disassembled, cleaned and painted seat frames, new foam and materials to a friend named Oscar. He did the seats in MyFirstCar 20 years ago and they still look new, so he got the nod for doing my son's seats recently.
Chair Wood Automotive tire Flooring Floor

Comfort Wood Vehicle Motor vehicle Floor

• Wow
Reactions: RussDee and Bad66GT
#9 ·
Yes, he is right here in Auburn. Very nice fellow. I imagine he wouldn't mind some repeat business. I'll be glad to ask, and if he says he will then get you two in touch.

#12 ·
On my '68, I put new foam and seat covers on myself. I got the modified "Sport" foam and covers from TMI. It did this in 2014 and the seats still look new. I used metal coat hangers to make the metal rods you use with the hog rings. I watched several videos on YouTube to learn the techniques for getting tight covers without any wrinkles. Following these techniques, I didn't have any trouble installing them. If someone were using the stock style seats I would encourage them to watch installation videos on YouTube before deciding they can't do it. I'm sure you could do a nice, professional job. I didn't have any troubles installing the hog rings.

#15 ·
@Rufus68 that's awesome! I can do a lot of things but I just didn't trust myself to get this stuff really right and not mess up some expensive upholstery and have to order it again :ROFLMAO: ! I have seen some VMF members' work that is stunning. I also still have to work a lot and have so much on my plate on my days off that I didn't think I would be able to dedicate the time to it or get it done in a reasonable amount of time for an eager 16 year old ;)
We did a lot of other stuff together and we took the seats out, to Oscar, and picked them up together, and he was thrilled with the results. Definitely worth the money.
@Wayne clark , I'll send you a PM.

#18 ·
Its not that hard, but it kills your hands. They will hurt for 2-3 days afterwards… I like doing upholstery…but my hands do not…

#19 ·
I hear that. I don't ordinarily have problems but I've noticed if I wrench a lot, and after I spent a couple days pushing and pulling hoses for a coolant flush and new hoses etc on my son's car, they HURT.

#21 ·
I bought a small pair of bolt cutters from HF to cut the hogrings, and I've purchased several sets of hog ring pliers, with both straight and curved to assist. It helped, but it is still a tough job on the hands...

#24 ·
Got the 2nd seat foam in Mon. , & the seat covers in Tue.

Opened the covers to check them out & I have to say they were not what I expected.

They are NICE ! Made me want to pull the seats & start recovering them now. But that won't be happening for awhile as the weather calls for a significant chance of rain for about a week from the storm that just hit Texas. And my parking cover does'nt have room to be pulling the seats out.

Heard something outside & it looks like they nailed it , raining here at 3:30 AM.

Oh well something for another day. Don't know if I had said but these are TMI seat covers. Kinda makes me wonder if I might should have paid twice the money & purchased their leather covers after seeing how good these look.

Just kidding I'm good.

#25 ·
I recently installed TMI covers and foam on my rear seat. They fit and look great, super quality. I’ve never done any upholstery work before but I took my time and it went really well. The hog rings are not too hard to install but you have to plan the order so you don’t end up painted into a corner, so to speak. I laid the covers out in the sun first for some extra stretch and then again afterwards and all the wrinkles laid down nicely.

I did not do the fronts, rather I bought fully assembled seats instead.

#26 ·
Be sure if you do it yourself or pay someone else that a little extra foam is used at all corners of the front seat bases and backs and the upper leading edge of the rear seat center "hump" area so the metal corners and any hog rings in those areas to push or wear through.

#27 ·
I've done 3 sets. Hard on the hands and wrists. Next time I'll spread it out over several days instead of all in one weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.