Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preperation for a new exhaust system on #383 I replaced the transmission x-member today. The car has a T5Z conversion, but the existing conversion X-member was rather bulky and wasn't conducive to big pipes being routed around it. Puchased a new X-member from Moderndriveline. It's a very nice piece, much slimmer. I was able to unbolt the existing member easilly to remove. The transmission didn't move down, but had to jack up the tail of the transmission ~1" to fit the new one. Trans definately is higher in the tunnel. Seems that I now have some vibration where I noticed none before, also get a low howl a one place in first gear where none was present before, and seems like it may be coming from the front U-joint area. My guess is that the existing U-joints develop a wear pattern, and relocating the tail end of the transmission has changed the angle, producing noise. Yes, no?

·
Registered
50 Posts
You may have altered your pinion angle. With some research you can find the correct pinion angle. I would think it to be around 7 degrees. This prevents binding of the ujoints under torque. I also believe your yoke needs a certain amout of free movement. Is this still there? Look at these two items. Good Luck
2Lman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts