Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this topic has been hammered a lot I have went through countless threads regarding the topic however I haven't found much information on these three non-adjustable shocks. I am unfortunately up in the great white north. I know the bilstein sare the go to recommendation however there is not a distributor of the RCD shocks here and it costs me an extra 40% to buy from an american company. I am not a fan of the KYB gas-a-just shocks and I don't need adjustable ones since its not a track car. Any input from people who have used any of these would be greatly appreciated since they are available to me in Canada.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see the The Mustang Shop in Calgary has the Bilstein shocks. At $630 for the set. I am still curious if anyone has use the others.

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
I know this topic has been hammered a lot I have went through countless threads regarding the topic however I haven't found much information on these three non-adjustable shocks. I am unfortunately up in the great white north. I know the bilstein sare the go to recommendation however there is not a distributor of the RCD shocks here and it costs me an extra 40% to buy from an american company. I am not a fan of the KYB gas-a-just shocks and I don't need adjustable ones since its not a track car. Any input from people who have used any of these would be greatly appreciated since they are available to me in Canada.
Thanks
You can't have spent much time looking at "countless" threads. There's just no way.
For non-adjustable....... BILSTEIN. No others need be considered.
Your aversion to adjustable shocks is interesting. Don't cheap out on shocks, even if it isn't a "track" car.

I know the search function on the VMF is a pain but I've written plenty on Koni STR.T and QA-1 and Viking.
Put Bilstein on there or regular Koni and be done with it. (you don't want to be adjusting the Konis anyway.... leave them alone as they come out of the box)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: Mel_llama

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't have spent much time looking at "countless" threads. There's just no way.
For non-adjustable....... BILSTEIN. No others need be considered.
Your aversion to adjustable shocks is interesting. Don't cheap out on shocks, even if it isn't a "track" car.

I know the search function on the VMF is a pain but I've written plenty on Koni STR.T and QA-1 and Viking.
Put Bilstein on there or regular Koni and be done with it. (you don't want to be adjusting the Konis anyway.... leave them alone as they come out of the box)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Thank you, yes I seen you post a lot and I appreciate your wealth of knowledge. At first the only reason I was not going to go with bilstein was because I wasn't seeing a canadian distributor and our exchange rate is awful. So in the end perhaps I should just delete this post since I see the mustang shops lists them but it doesn't sound like they stock them so I may just need to wait and be patient for them to come in. The hotchkis was interesting but honestly with all the rave reviews for bilstein's if I can get them I will be going that way. I guess the my aversion to adjustable was solely that I don't know what I am doing when it comes to adjusting them and it wouldn't be a track car so I just assumed that adjustable would be overkill for me. I have done the arning drop roller spring perches 1 inch drop springs in the front 600# the global west sub frame connectors 4.5 inch mid eye leafs in the rear. Rubber bushings all around. I was thinking the Bilstein sport valve if I can get them would that make sense or would the street ones be adequate? Thanks again. I will try searching through google perhaps I may have better luck coming up with the threads that discuss the other shocks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We ship the Bilstein shocks all over the world.

Hey Shaun I had assumed you would it was the extra 40% that I would have to pay since I make the Canadian loonies lol that I was trying to avoid. I can get the Hotchkis and QA1 for around 190/shock in Canada. Thats the only reason why I was thinking about them and the STR.T were about 90 bucks a shock. The bilstein we looking like 252/shock plus shipping on top so nearly 300 a shock by the time they got to me.

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
I would consider the end result rather than the money (to a point obviously).

If you save $100 but it drives like crap its not money well saved. :) I have lots of experience with Bilstein and love them. Lots of experience with KYB and loath them. None with Hotchkis. Little with QA1.

Nobody custom valves their shocks specific to the Mustang like the Bilstein shocks.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If cost is a big concern, CJ has Koni Classics on sale right now for $106 per corner. The fronts are in stock (my pair arrived on Tuesday) and the backs are reporting as out of stock

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses. I think may try and still get the Bilstein and report after I get them but I am sure it would be just another rave review like the rest. Now I just need to decide between the sport of street valving.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Know your purpose...what is your driving style? Are you going to race? I loved my bilstein sports but they weren't up to the task of racing like my new hochkis APS 1.5,'s. If you're talking street driving, absolutely bilstein via SoT... if you're talking racing, you need to move up to a race shock.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fellow Canuck here. I just installed Koni adjustables on my 66. First test ride tonight and I must say they are an excellent choice. I bought them from Summit last week and delivery was only a few days. They were on sale at $580 CAD and shipping to Canada is free over $299 USD. Hard to beat.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,590 Posts
I've got QA1 single-step adjustable shocks on the rear end of my car and like them quite well. Unfortunately in a fastback the rear shock function is not nearly as readily noticeable as the front shocks (rear end is just super light) so I can't speak for what they would be like on all 4 corners, or even on the front.

I have the Bilsteins on the front and they are truly very good. I'm young and tend to rocket around haphazardly so my oblivious butt doesn't really notice how smooth the ride is, but a number of non-car-savvy friends have commented, unsolicited, on how great my suspension is. So it must be pretty great. Either that, or they're just surprised the car stays on the road... ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fellow Canuck here. I just installed Koni adjustables on my 66. First test ride tonight and I must say they are an excellent choice. I bought them from Summit last week and delivery was only a few days. They were on sale at $580 CAD and shipping to Canada is free over $299 USD. Hard to beat.
For the set of four or just the two?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts