Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Since this thread is fairly recent, just FYI that Summit has the front Koni shocks on sale right now for $106 each with free shipping. So that's $212 total for the front shocks.

Koni #821388sp3

I've had many Bilsteins on many different cars over the years and they really are excellent shocks. Was getting ready to either buy the "Sport" valved ($298/pr + shipping) or the "Race" valved ($430/pr + shipping) and was having trouble deciding. With another ~$40 in shipping, it's probably ~$340 Sport or ~$470 Race for the front pair with shipping.

But, the rear Koni shocks Koni #821389 are also on sale at Summit for $106 each.

So all 4 Koni shocks cost $420 shipped. This amounts to a $280 to $380 savings over Bilstein for a set of 4 shocks (depending on Sport or Race valved) which isn't exactly pocket change.

I'm after a very aggressive street setup on my '65 Fastback that will see some track time.
  • The front shocks will be paired with a Shelby/Arning drop, Global West 640# springs, SorT 1/8" poly spring insulators, OTR roller perches, OTR stock "blueprinted" UCAs/LCAs, 1.25" roll bar on poly bushes, and SorT adjustable strut rods...along with typical export and monte carlo bars...as well as ~6 welded-in chassis stiffening parts.
  • The rear shocks will be paired with TBD new leafs, bushings, and either a Panhard or Watts Link. Need to get on the phone and talk with Hane Performance, SorT, Maier, and OTR to decide...
From those of you out there with either of these Bilsteins, would you have gone Koni at this price point?
Not sure who you’re looking at for the pricing on the Bilstein’s but Opentracker racing has the sports for $258 a pair. If you’re wanting to go with Bilstein, I’d go that route and save $40 for the pair on the fronts. The rears are only $199 for the pair so you’re looking at a difference of only about $40 for the set of 4 compared to the Koni’s before the cost of shipping. Not exactly sure what that will cost but a call to John would probably solve that rather quickly. Definitely not a difference of $280-380, though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
@ElConductor good catch and John’s prices at OTR are better than prices at the other Bilstein source. He’s a great source and I don’t know how I missed that bc I have some of his parts on my car.

That means for a set of 4 Bilstein, OTR would be $457 Sport and $517 Race plus ~$40 shipping so $497 Sport or $547 Race.

Less of a savings at $73 - $125 depending on shock type.

Those prices and faster delivery might have made me pause...but I went with the Konis from Summit. My car is up on the lift at the mechanic for welding work (torque boxes and more) and we pulled the front suspension as we removed the export brace. The Konis will be here by Friday which means I don’t have to install them myself or pay (again) for them to be installed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
@ElConductor good catch and John’s prices at OTR are better than prices at the other Bilstein source. He’s a great source and I don’t know how I missed that bc I have some of his parts on my car.

That means for a set of 4 Bilstein, OTR would be $457 Sport and $517 Race plus ~$40 shipping so $497 Sport or $547 Race.

Less of a savings at $73 - $125 depending on shock type.

Those prices and faster delivery might have made me pause...but I went with the Konis from Summit. My car is up on the lift at the mechanic for welding work (torque boxes and more) and we pulled the front suspension as we removed the export brace. The Konis will be here by Friday which means I don’t have to install them myself or pay (again) for them to be installed.
I try to look around as much as possible so I get the best pricing available. Plus I’ve purchased from John before, his roller spring perches, and would recommend them and him to anyone. Hope the Koni’s work out for you.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts