Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These finally arrive from Maier! Going to install next weekend with the wilwood 6 piston setup. Nice quality spindles, much beefier than the OEM V8 drum spindles I am using currently. We'll see if they reduce flex and pad knockback that got much worse when I switched to super sticky A052 tires. Installing with bearing spacers that came with the MOD1 package...
spindle2.jpg

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using DRP bearing spaces this time so preload should be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Do they make these with the 4 bolt brake caliper bracket pattern?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wheel bearing spacers are a great thing. But last time I looked, the DRP ones were threaded and somewhere between difficult and impossible to get right. We ended up making custom shim based ones. This was on a tube frame SCCA GT road race car that used a what was called a Mod Light rear end snout for front spindles (super large diameter). So nobody made a shim based spacer for it. So if you have trouble with the DRP threaded spacers, look for a shim based one.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed they were a bit of a pain. Adjustment with thread is a lot of trial and error. Measuring with a caliper isn’t the same as them being under compression.

Way I did it was I got them to zero with some rough adjustments then small turns equivalent to .001-.002” to zero preload. After I hit zero I preloaded one small turn and set the set screw. I torque the spindle nut to 35ft lbs each change.

Reactions: disquek

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just went through this. Have you checked run out on all your rotors? I checked mine and 1 was close to being good. One rear axle had 40 thousands of run out. One hub was bent, both rear rotor hats needed to be upgraded to aluminum machined hats, 1 axle flange was bent and needed to be machined. All that said I was able to index the fronts and rears to 3 thousandths or less. Get a dial caliper check them all for run out, some can be fixed by indexing the rotor to the hub/axle others may need correction shims machining or replacement. Only takes one to be off.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't measured the runout but it seems acceptable for my install. The rears were fine, with the pads engaged onto the rotors and I spin the wheels, the friction/rubbing noise is constant. If there was significant run out then I would here it when I rotate the wheels.

For the fronts, one side is constant, no issues at all and the other there is a slight difference as I turn the wheel but the pads stay engaged the whole time. Not sure if it will be an issue yet but at most its a few thousandths. I have only driven with the rears installed so far and I didn't feel anything in the pedal and I am sure I would since I have manual brakes.

Waiting for granada studs for the new spindles from TCP which should come in by the end of the week. I have an appointment sunday to get onto alignment rack to redo my bumpsteer shims and toe so will know soon if there are any issues with the front but as of now I don't think there is.

Its strange you has so many issues. I was worried from what I have been reading but luckily for me it seems ok...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I haven't measured the runout but it seems acceptable for my install. The rears were fine, with the pads engaged onto the rotors and I spin the wheels, the friction/rubbing noise is constant. If there was significant run out then I would here it when I rotate the wheels.

For the fronts, one side is constant, no issues at all and the other there is a slight difference as I turn the wheel but the pads stay engaged the whole time. Not sure if it will be an issue yet but at most its a few thousandths. I have only driven with the rears installed so far and I didn't feel anything in the pedal and I am sure I would since I have manual brakes.

Waiting for granada studs for the new spindles from TCP which should come in by the end of the week. I have an appointment sunday to get onto alignment rack to redo my bumpsteer shims and toe so will know soon if there are any issues with the front but as of now I don't think there is.

Its strange you has so many issues. I was worried from what I have been reading but luckily for me it seems ok...
Slide off track at 130, nail a few really bad gators, stuff happens. Track cars may get to and from on trailers, but they are not trailer queens!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luckily I have not had a slide off track experience yet

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are a few pics on the install

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice! Lots of cool stuff.
Slide off track at 130, nail a few really bad gators, stuff happens. Track cars may get to and from on trailers, but they are not trailer queens!
I wish I could get up to 130. when i hit 100-105 I get this annoying high frequency vibration in the front end I have not been able to identify yet...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts