Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my 65 convertible back up to stock ride height as I'm tired of my headers scraping every time I go over a speed bump. My goal would be stock or a bit higher in the back and stock or a bit lower in the front. I never liked the nose up stance these cars came with. I would appreciate ant help.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Call NPD and ask about the Eaton Detroit springs they carry. Tell them what you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The NPD springs were a little rich for my wallet. $360 for the rear pair, plus extra for the hardware.

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
The NPD springs were a little rich for my wallet. $360 for the rear pair, plus extra for the hardware.
You may think this harsh, but I really don't want to hear it. It took me nearly ten years to tear down and build my mustang back up. I worked extra odd jobs, I scrimped, I saved, and I got the money to do it the way I wanted. Sometimes the going was agonizingly slow, like months for the next costly component. I didn't cheap out, and I didn't purchase even a single nut or bolt on credit. Not ever.

And guess what? My car is held up by Eaton Detroit springs.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It might be the problem with the headers being too low. The first set of headers I put on mine a couple decades ago did that, and it wasn't lowered. The headers that went on with the rebuild a few years ago weren't as low and I've not had any issues with them scraping. I think tri-y's are the new ones that were put on. Don't think I've gone over any speed bumps this year since I did the Shelby drop, so I don't know if they will scrape now or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gee 4ocious, not as much harsh as maybe self righteous. That's a lot of venom because I didn't but Eaton springs.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Gee 4ocious, not as much harsh as maybe self righteous. That's a lot of venom because I didn't but Eaton springs.
Hey, I get it, Eaton springs are expensive, but I think what 4ocious is trying to say is that the Eaton springs are worthwhile. US made 5160 springs will maintain their arch over lesser quality overseas made springs for years to come. Might as well replace springs with high quality parts unless you're just looking to flip a vehicle.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Might as well replace springs with high quality parts unless you're just looking to flip a vehicle.
I never had any problems with the non-Eaton springs that's been on my car. I've seen to many threads with people having some kind of trouble with springs from Eaton, to see them as being superior. The steel they use may be of a higher quality than other use, but .....

On another vintage car forum someone actually claimed that Eaton don't manufacture the coil springs they sell, that these are bought from another company. I don't know if that's correct. But it was written in a thread were at least 2 guys had recieved "stock" coil springs from Eaton that put the ridehight way off on their stock vintage cars (not Mustangs).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts