Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new SSW's last week and bought new tires. I had to go to 9 tire shops to find one that balanced the wheels using the lugs (the way Pro Products requires them to be balanced). 2 of the wheels were perfect and the other 2 wobbled from left to right about an inch. The Tire Guy said that the wheels were defective. I called NPD today and he said he has never had this problem with Pro Product's wheels but is sending the 2 replacements today. Has anyone had a similar problem with repro wheels???
I was disappointed that could not break in my new tires this last weekend but things like this happen. Also, this was my first order with NPD but it won't be my last. Their service has been excellent.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Anytime you buy a two piece wheel, there's a possibility of runout. I have had problems with both Mag 500's and SSW in the past. I now run AR TTD.

65 FB "J" 302 lots of mods. 94 GT K&N only.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1590489&a=12113030&p=43871256.jpg

·
Registered
408 Posts
Run-out is supposed to be checked before leaving the factory. I've seen .25 on a defective wheel but never 1"!! I wonder if they got banged around in shipping. If you need further assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

Scott
National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
By coincidence I was just yesterday glancing through old V8-mags (local, excellent) when I noticed two different stories about Weld wheels being similarly defective. One had problems with Aluma Star and the other with Drag Pro or something (can't remember exactly). Maybe it's more common problem than anyone thought.

Door handle first when cornering

1 - 4 of 4 Posts