Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my flaming river steering box this morning, installed this afternoon, and now I feel much better about my big trip. I didn't realize how badly the car handled before...at least I got progress for my $$$. Best part, the mechanics so enjoyed working on (and test driving) my car, they charged me half of actual labor. Saved a bunch with that. My question for today: they flushed cooling system, put in new thermostat and ran car. Gauge goes all the way to high side, but they checked the temp and it was around 180 everywhere, so they think the gauge is off. Any way to adjust it? I am leaving Sunday, so I just went and got an aftermarket one to throw in tomorrow. Any tips or suggestions???

Thanks,

Bill

http://spitcup.knac.com/a mustang front april 2001 small.jpg

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Incorrect sender? Bad sender? I can't remember if the sending units are the same size or not - seem to think the idiot light senders were dinky little things.

Hope all goes well!

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
IIRC, most temp guages of the day relied on the resistance (to stretch) of little tiny springs. After 35 years, those springs weaken and the readings are no longer accurate (as if they ever were in the first place). There are people who advertise in Hemmings under "Services" that will repair/recalibrate them.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts