Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my '65 6 cylinder from having a T5 installed last week. It gets off the line so much better than with the old 3 spd. However, unless I'm at the perfect speed it grinds going into 2nd and 3rd. Haven't noticed it as much going into 4th but some. My question is do you think this is a clutch problem or transmission problem? I got the T5 on eBay completely rebuilt and all the conversion and clutch components came from MDL. The shifter is a Steeda Tri-ax.

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
A couple things to check. First off, does it shift easily into reverse from neutral at a standstill? If not, what you are describing CAN be caused by a dragging pilot bushing. Also check that you are using the correct manual transmission fluid. For the T-5 that would Dexron/Mercon ATF. If neither of these is an issue, then begin looking to see if the clutch is fully disengaging during shifting.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Did you purchase it from a highly rated seller? The reason I ask there is rebuilding a T5 and there is rebuilding a T5!!

Search Youtube for Paul Cangialosi. He goes through a disassembly of an Ebay T5 that was supposed to have been rebuilt. He was not impressed.

I agree with Woodchuck, check your clutch engagement points. You should be getting approx. 1.4" of travel on your clutch fork. depends on what clutch you have, you may not have enough pre-load either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple things to check. First off, does it shift easily into reverse from neutral at a standstill? If not, what you are describing CAN be caused by a dragging pilot bushing. Also check that you are using the correct manual transmission fluid. For the T-5 that would Dexron/Mercon ATF. If neither of these is an issue, then begin looking to see if the clutch is fully disengaging during shifting.
I have noticed that it does NOT shift easily into reverse; requires a bit of force to get it down there. I am almost positive that the correct fluid was used as we discussed this at the time I was picking it up. I am not overly impressed with the knowledge of the shop that did the swap so I'm asking here first to get some info before I contact them with possible issues. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you purchase it from a highly rated seller? The reason I ask there is rebuilding a T5 and there is rebuilding a T5!!

Search Youtube for Paul Cangialosi. He goes through a disassembly of an Ebay T5 that was supposed to have been rebuilt. He was not impressed.

I agree with Woodchuck, check your clutch engagement points. You should be getting approx. 1.4" of travel on your clutch fork. depends on what clutch you have, you may not have enough pre-load either.
I purchased it from a 100% positive feedback seller that sells quite a bit of Mustang items including a couple different types of rebuilt T5's. Here's the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-T5-World-Class-Transmission-StreetSweeper/153678261625?hash=item23c7f02d79:g:hoMAAOSwTM5YxZXh
I wish I was more knowledgeable about the clutch in general and could check the items you both mention myself. I will most likely need to have the shop take another look... I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It sounds like your clutch is not fully releasing. If it is hydraulic, then it could be as simple as air in the line. Do you have a hydraulic operated clutch, cable operated clutch, or the Z-bar operated clutch?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like your clutch is not fully releasing. If it is hydraulic, then it could be as simple as air in the line. Do you have a hydraulic operated clutch, cable operated clutch, or the Z-bar operated clutch?
It's the zbar style. I just reached out to the shop and they will have a look at it in a couple hours when we can run it over there. Hoping it's a simple adjustment as otherwise I love how it drives with the new T5.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I got one of those 'supposedly' rebuilt T5Z's.. and it was JUNK! %th gear cluster looked like it had been dragged from the bottom of a lake after 20 years. All the synchros were trash and the blocker rings were all worn. It was also reassembled with used bearings. I'll never do that again.

Sounds to me like a clutch engagement issue.. Hopefully that shop can sort it out.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
early T5s do not have a synchronizer for reverse, 92-93 or somewhere in there they started adding them. I had my early T5 rebuilt by a guy near Detroit, he told me to always shift into 5th before reverse (no need to release clutch) and it won't grind. Habit now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a few test drives at the shop it's been "determined" that everything is normal. I'm not sure I'm buying it completely at this point. My fiance is driving it today and I will get my hands on it later and see if anything has loosened up. It's only been a couple days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also check that you are using the correct manual transmission fluid. For the T-5 that would Dexron/Mercon ATF.
As Woodchuck said, make sure that the shop is using ATF and not gear oil/lube. It doesn't sound like you have much faith in the shop and maybe like they don't know what they're doing. Ask them what type of transmission fluid they used and it will be a quick and easy fix if they used the wrong one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As others have mentioned if you are using the Z-bar it could be as simple as adjusting the linkage to make sure the clutch is totally disengaged. I do not know if the six cylinder linkage is the same as the V8 for 65 but with mine it is easily adjusted on the topside by turning the adjusting nut on the rod that comes through the firewall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My clutch is good shape; in fact it is sooo much better off the line than before when it was slipping and chattering, etc. It is set up pretty high tho, maybe I can adjust the release point a bit lower in the pedal travel. Maybe I'm complaining about something that's not a huge deal, I just can't understand why sometimes it goes right into gear and other times it's a bit chunky - nothing consistent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well whatever is going on only got worse today. There's a noticable whine if the car is in neutral that goes away when I press in the clutch. Also after I drove it for about 20 minutes and then shut it off that whine persisted for about 20 seconds as it wound down and finally stopped. 5th gear is also brutally loud.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Shops dont usually care about the job if they dont sell or rebuild the part. Its unfortunate. I doubt if I could even find a shop around here that would install a transmission that I provided.
Did you very the fluid used in it? You could still have some internal issues with the trans. Very possibly an input shaft bushing or bearing. I dont know whats used in a T5. Maybe someone will come along with an easy solution!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts