Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I've got to agree with Woodchuck's diagnosis of a dragging input shaft, usually caused by the bellhousing opening not
absolutely perfectly (within .005) concentric with the input bushing in the crank. Google the procedure for this and
although it's tedious, it'll only cost you a couple of offset dowels, to get the bellhousing concentric. Also need to check
for unparallel surfaces, ie, the back of the bell to the back of the block.

I wouldn't go any further without doing this first. A dragging input shaft acts like the clutch
is always engaged.
Thanks for the advice. I will also need to pay the labor as I'm not set up to get under there or lift it. Probably a few hours I imagine.

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will also need to pay the labor as I'm not set up to get under there or lift it. Probably a few hours I imagine.
Also give the input shaft, where it enters the pilot bushing, a good looking over. If somebody "dinged" the end and caused it to "mushroom" or if there is a nick or burr raising the surface, it could also cause dragging. One real easy thing to do would be to pop the pilot bushing and slide a bearing in there, in its place. Should be a 6003-2RS for sealed or 6003-ZZ for plain shielded. I'd use the shielded with a small amount of grease wiped on each side. Most auto parts stores should be able to come up with one for around ten bucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Essentially, I'm returning it back to where I got it. They did the install of the T5 and will buy it back from me and put it back on the floor. Taking a hit.. but not my headache after tomorrow. Thanks for all the help but not being able to work on this myself I can't justify throwing any more money at it when given the opportunity to be done.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I assume this means you'll have the 3-speed back in it. How was the 3-speed working before you did the swap? Let us know how it all works after you get it back. I hope it will all be good news.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I assume this means you'll have the 3-speed back in it. How was the 3-speed working before you did the swap? Let us know how it all works after you get it back. I hope it will all be good news.
That's a negative... The 3 speed before I swapped was terrible. Not only was the clutch a little iffy on take off (needing a lot of gas to get it going) but since it was the non-synched first gear 3 speed it totally sucked waiting to come to a complete stop before shifting back into first gear. All that being said.. I sold the 65 and bought a 2005 GT that has only 6k miles. It was very nostalgic reliving my high school days for a couple months but that 65 wasn't the car for me.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts