Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had to go to a yearly safety check. The thread on my 6 years old tires with only 16000 miles on it (BF Goodrich Momenta) is down to 1.3 mm at some spots. It has to be at least 1.6 mm to past the test.
I think 16000 miles is not much for a guy who doesn't race with his car! I know that to much toe in can cause tire wear but what about wrong camber/caster?
I just ordered 4 new (wsw) tires (Cooper life line classic 2) and had to pay 80 dollars for one tire ::....ooooh man this hobby is expensive.

TIA

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I ran my front tires bald after less than 10K because of alignment problems. Got that fixed, and the Cooper Cobras up front still look great after close to 20K miles. Might want to get the alignment checked, in fact have the whole suspension/steering inspected, before mounting up new tires!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree with 66CoupeNW. Get the suspension checked. Even the worst of tires should last longer than 16k. Like Dan, I went through a set of tires in about 7k miles. Rebuilt the front end and now have a little over 30k on my front tires, although they probably won't make it through the winter.

And yes, other than maybe flying, I can' think of too many more expensive hobbies :(

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
You guys have winter down there???? :p :p

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yea, you all call those 60 degree days cold snaps, when we have them they are called warm spells ! ::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts