Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at mustang that needs to be restored. Owner says pretty solid, no cancer rust but has cowl leak. I have heard that cowl is pretty hard and expensive to repair. Any advice? thanks.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Mustangs are VERY prone to rust. Just because you can't see it does not mean it is not there. Cowl repair IS very expensive. Take some pics of the car's bottom side right behind the front tires, right in front of the back tires, and at the very back of the rear frame rails and then post them on the board. In about 30 minutes you will have all of the answers regarding rust that you will need.

I also notice that you post from Ca. so if it is an original Calif. car it is probably pretty nice. To check the cowl, pour a gallon of water in the cowl and see if it comes through under the dash. If not, the cowls are good. If the leak is only on the passenger side (after the car passes the cowl test) then it might be the heater core. Does the car have A/C?

·
Registered
446 Posts
You can repair the cowl or take it somewhere. I have some how to post for the cowl repair. they walk you through this step. Everyone on this site will help you every step of the way.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Owner says pretty solid, no cancer rust but has cowl leak.
That's like saying, it's not raining, but there's water falling from the sky. If the cowl leaks there's rust.

Where in California are you? Find someone that knows Mustangs and have them go with you to inspect the car before you plunk down the $. There's hundreds of us VMFers all over the state, that would be glad to assist you.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
The cowl area is most certainly rusted, but I have to disagree with the repair being "very expensive". It's time consuming (about the same as hanging a new rear quarter), but the actual material cost is minimal. The '66 I posted earlier has all new cowl panels installed.

·
Premium Member
19,220 Posts
The cowl area is most certainly rusted, but I have to disagree with the repair being "very expensive". It's time consuming (about the same as hanging a new rear quarter), but the actual material cost is minimal. The '66 I posted earlier has all new cowl panels installed.
It is inexpensive if you do the work yourself; but as you indicated it is time consuming. For the owner to pay someone else to do it, the job is expensive!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If the cowl leaks your floors are probably rotting from the inside out. Looking under wont help you have to lift the carpet. If the floors are rotting from the inside out it is possible the front frame rail is also rotting from the inside out.
This is what happened to my car. The cowl leaked which rotted out the floors and firewall, and the drivers side frame rail. For some reason the pass side frame was fine.
If you cant get the carpet up go underneath with a sharp screwdrive and poke around.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
List where you are in Calif. One of us near by may be able to help by looking at the car with you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts