Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

The wife and I just purchased our first classic mustang! Unfortunately, it's in Canada and we bought it sight unseen.

It's not the first time we've done this. We also have a 90 coupe mustang and a 03 cobra.

I know it's a old car, but what can we expect as far as ride quality and handling? I have video and plenty of pictures of the car.

It's a 67 fastback and has power steering and 4 wheel disc brakes.

Hopefully it will be home in 3-6 weeks. It's my wife's dream car.
26046670-1967-ford-mustang-thumb.jpg
26046565-1967-ford-mustang-thumb.jpg
26046629-1967-ford-mustang-thumb.jpg
26046623-1967-ford-mustang-thumb.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,577 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Nice car. As for handling and ride quality that will depend if its stock suspension or handling. Stock suspension rides good but handles not so good. If you are just cruising around and like a good ride leave it stock.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, pictures look impressive. I see power steering which may feel more vague on a vintage Mustang compared to a modern vehicle. Is it a big block or small block engine car? I'm thinking small block from your pictures. A small block will handle a little better than a big block car. Ditch the Fram oil filter when you change the oil when you get your Mustang.

Reactions: Bdubbs

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Good choice Brady, very sharp looking car. It's nice to see another svtp member here.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Looks to be a nice vehicle! 63A or B interior? Clearly a small block car based on oil filter location and 8" differential.
You're much braver than I! I would never buy a car sight-unseen. There are just too many places for rust issues to lurk. Especially when it comes from the great white north. ( Note Take Off You Hoser).
Are you handling the export documents?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, pictures look impressive. I see power steering which may feel more vague on a vintage Mustang compared to a modern vehicle. Is it a big block or small block engine car? I'm thinking small block from your pictures. A small block will handle a little better than a big block car. Ditch the Fram oil filter when you change the oil when you get your Mustang.
I don't know about that...you can't get much more numb than EPAS on a modern car. Driving my wife's Fiat 500 I can't feel the road at all. Zero feedback through the wheel. As for handling...I am going to be honest...in my first classic mustang 20 years ago(67 coupe) the handling was just fine...it exceeded my driving ability at the time. It didn't have the road grip of say my current daily beater(05 Mazda 6)...but I could take the same corners at the same speeds I do today. There is certainly more "pucker factor" involved in driving a classic mustang in a spirited manner, but there was no lack of ability...assuming the stock suspension components are in good condition, it will handle just fine. What it won't do is feel as confidence inspiring as a modern suspension design.

"Handling" is a very vague term that has more to do with driver impressions than it does with capability. Point in case: Read all the magazine articles you can find about suspension upgrades, in very few of them do they actually test metrics that can be measured like skidpad numbers or slalom times....and the times they do, improvements in those areas can often be attributed to better tires. This isn't to say handling doesn't exist...but that people usually confuse it with driver impressions of the word. Either way, classic vehicles are a lot less forgiving of driver error.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
843 Posts
Congratulations, looks like a nicely restored vehicle! When you ask about ride quality, I also think in terms of sound levels. Long tube headers and chambered mufflers will give you a certain sound, which you may have already heard in the videos you mentioned. I'm thinking about ditching my chambered mufflers due to their tendency to drone too much.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I don't know about that...you can't get much more numb than EPAS on a modern car. Driving my wife's Fiat 500 I can't feel the road at all. Zero feedback through the wheel. As for handling...I am going to be honest...in my first classic mustang 20 years ago(67 coupe) the handling was just fine...it exceeded my driving ability at the time. It didn't have the road grip of say my current daily beater(05 Mazda 6)...but I could take the same corners at the same speeds I do today. There is certainly more "pucker factor" involved in driving a classic mustang in a spirited manner, but there was no lack of ability...assuming the stock suspension components are in good condition, it will handle just fine. What it won't do is feel as confidence inspiring as a modern suspension design.

"Handling" is a very vague term that has more to do with driver impressions than it does with capability. Point in case: Read all the magazine articles you can find about suspension upgrades, in very few of them do they actually test metrics that can be measured like skidpad numbers or slalom times....and the times they do, improvements in those areas can often be attributed to better tires. This isn't to say handling doesn't exist...but that people usually confuse it with driver impressions of the word.
Huh? There are many discernable differences in handling and the understeer is down right scary in an older car. They require a completely different skill-set than any modern car to operate well.
With time and experience you become accustomed to quirks and limitations of the stock suspension which means you can anticipate what the vehicle will do. There are a few simple upgrades that make the cars night and day different and they are relatively inexpensive and something you could complete working a few hours on your days off.

The great news is that it looks like a very solid car to start with.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Congratulations, looks like a nicely restored vehicle! When you ask about ride quality, I also think in terms of sound levels. Long tube headers and chambered mufflers will give you a certain sound, which you may have already heard in the videos you mentioned. I'm thinking about ditching my chambered mufflers due to their tendency to drone too much.
Richard: What mufflers are you running currently? The Flowmaster 40's are horrid when it comes to drone. I went with the Deltas. They helped but are still louder than I would like inside.

Reactions: PonyLance

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
843 Posts
Richard: What mufflers are you running currently? The Flowmaster 40's are horrid when it comes to drone. I went with the Deltas. They helped but are still louder than I would like inside.
I'm running the 50 Series Delta Flow #942551. They aren't "horrible", but like you said, a little louder than I like, particularly if you are driving for any length of time. One other issue I have is that I'm running turn downs because I have a 4 link rear suspension and don't have the room to run tailpipes all the way back, which I think would help.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Bdubb, welocome to VMF, that looks VERY nice. For the handling, the car will probably understeer. After all, it WAS made that way. I'd lower the front an inch or so, and if your upper A arms are in factory position, you could lower them ( Arning ) or, even better, replace them with GlobalWest or something like that. The camber change will make a night and day difference in road feel. You'll want roller perches if you don't have them. Have the front end aligned to -1 camber, 1/32 toe, and 4 or 5 postive caster. Then, increase the pulley size on the power steering if its factory. Hows the rag joint ? The steering box can be rebuilt, IF it needs it. You MAY want to contemplate a passenger side torque box. It looks like you found a VERY VERY nice car ! Enjoy, I'm jealous ! LSG

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Huh? There are many discernable differences in handling and the understeer is down right scary in an older car. They require a completely different skill-set than any modern car to operate well.
With time and experience you become accustomed to quirks and limitations of the stock suspension which means you can anticipate what the vehicle will do. There are a few simple upgrades that make the cars night and day different and they are relatively inexpensive and something you could complete working a few hours on your days off.

The great news is that it looks like a very solid car to start with.
I suspect you haven't driven a classic car which didn't have a lot of miles on it. Sure, the handling was different on older cars. But it was far from scary. Sloppy steering is typically the result of a worn out steering box; or other components as well. With good tires, good brakes and good shocks, a classic Mustang actually drives pretty well.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
667 Posts
Dayum. I'd probably never buy a car sight unseen but If I did that would be the one! That car looks ridiculously clean, strong work.

As far as ride and handling go - its going to be a bit of an adjustment if you if you've never had an old car. From the looks of it you have all new fresh suspension so id expect it to ride pretty well. But these cars didn't handle that great from the factory. Keep in mind its a 54 year old technology lol. So depending on what your expectations are you may or may not be disappointed. As stated by others there are definitely improvements you can make if you want to. But honestly going by those pictures I'd leave that car alone and enjoy it.

Congrats.

·
Registered
See my 1967 parts needs in my signature below!
712 Posts
Congratulations! I hope my GTA looks that good someday.

In restored, good working order it will handle fine. However, it can be greatly improved upon with minor modifications, as mentioned above. Enjoy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone! The interior is 63b and it's a A code.

I definitely plan on ditching that fram oil filter. First thing I noticed!

I'm not expecting a whole lot out of the steering and handling being it's a super old car. It will just get driven periodically on nice days.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks everyone! The interior is 63b and it's a A code.

I definitely plan on ditching that fram oil filter. First thing I noticed!

I'm not expecting a whole lot out of the steering and handling being it's a super old car. It will just get driven periodically on nice days.

What's the exterior color? Candy Apple red?

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
Welcome from London, Ontario.

Your new fastback is gorgeous!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts