Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to possibly get a 67-68 Mustang and convert it to look like an Eleanor (Shelby GT 500). Is this possible and has anyone ever done this? Thanks, in advance, for the help.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
UHHH, you said the "E" word...lol. Not a lot of people here are fond of the Eleanor clones, so you might get some bashing for that. :p

As for your question, yes, it is possible to get a 67-68 Mustang Fastback and making it into a clone. Several companies offer body kits to make the conversion. I, personally, would much rather have a stock-looking 68 Fastback. Ever seen "Bullitt?" It might change your mind about the whole "Eleanor" thing. Plus, do you have any idea what this is gonna cost you? Dont mean to steer you away from Eleanor (I personally love the car), but I just think things have gotten a bit over board (Think about it, the movie is already 5 years old and it hasnt helped prices for these cars at all)

By the way, welcome to the VMF, it's a great place!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,658 Posts
Oh well. Yes there are kits that contain the add-on fiberglass stuff to emulate "Eleanor". I haven't paid much attention but I believe "Mustangs Plus" handles them. Possibly others too.
But if you wish to make your car a Shelby GT500 clone (a completely different thing, by the way), you would want to contact "Tony Branda" and get one of their catalogs. Branda specializes in Shelby parts, but I don't believe they sell anything related to the Eleanor thing. They don't actually sell Shelby conversions, but they do sell just about everything you'd need in the appearance department at least.
And yes people commonly do, and have done, both. Just a matter of time and money.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
It's a real easy conversion. Go to your bank, withdraw 60-80,000 and convert it into a payment for a GT 500. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously. consider restoring a 67/68 to its stock or near stock form. It is an investment you will always get a great return on. Not only in value but in fun as well. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
...Is this possible...
Not only is it possible - it's the only way to get one of these things. Even the "real" E cars are only converted 67/68 fastbacks. Whether you do it yourself or pay a company tens of thousands of dollars...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I like the E car too. The movie is the bug that got me back into old cars. To say a 67 Shelby with inboard headlights ws always my dream car from a very young age is definitely the truth.

I can tell you after purchasing a wrecked and partially parted out or scavanged car that the fiberglass parts are available but you have to have the $ to back it up.

Then if you want the car to actulally handle and perform, go right back to the bank. IF you want someone to install the parts you purchased, double your total and that'll give you a good budget.

Personally I know I would never afford a professional restoration but since I am handy and have space I can tinker with the car in my free time.

If you have money and can find a person to do the car with a level to the attention to detail you require great. If you have the ability to do most, 90% or more, of the work yourself you'll be much better off.

Another thing about the E and GT-XXX clone cars. Since you are making a clone you could always get a coupe or convertable and do the same thing to the car.

I was at a local body shop when they were doing an E car and the owner wanted a quick and cheap job (bacially for resale) and once the body guy found that out he gave the car back to the owner and I dont blame him. BUt, back to my topic here, the E fiberglass scoops and other such parts are of a flexible material and not a hard fiberglass like the parts Branda sells and the E parts get hard "bonded" on the car which means if they get bumped or crack you need to do body work again. Nor does it fit as well as the original quality fiberglass Branda sells (and some of those parts such as the scoops and nose and extensions need a lot of time spent on working and recontouring to actually fit the lines of the mustang body). Keep in mind that 67 hoods and noses are near impossible to get(may take 6-12 months to get them as they are hand laid pieces). The 67 Trunk lids, and quarter panels are obsolete as the guy who use to make them decided he isnt anymore due to (from what I was told) all the "cloning" so you would have to go with the 68 pieces which fit pretty good but leave some gaps areound the tailpanel you wouldnt normally have with true 67 shelby parts.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
No, you should never do that.

<--------------------

::

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the many comments guys. Didn't mean to touch on a taboo around here by bringing up "the E word". I can't say as I have seen the Bullitt. Point me in that direction gentlemen!

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Eleanor: kits available, will cost more to get it right. Quite often you can find one under construction on Ebay, unless you already have the 67/68 fastback. Billy Joe Jim Bob on Ebay might be trying to sell you his piece of crap so look close. Also, the "E" word has been used on Ebay from every dumb lick trying to dump his (pick one) silver, any year Mstang, coupe, convrtable, 6 cylinder. rusted out. So pay attention and look close.
Bullet car: Must be a highland greeen, 68, 390, 4 speed with black interior, no grill emblem, Torque thrust wheels.
Weclome, have fun, and don't call my 67 an Eleanore....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the heads up Roddster. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning against trying to copy a car and the more I want to create my own custom.

Anyone have any links to pictures of this Bullitt mustang?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts