Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I used to build a lot of GM quarter mile cars, I sold them off and am now building a 67 coupe for my girlfriend, it's her dream car. It's a 6 cyl. auto car now. I plan on a early 90's 5.0 FI motor and 5 speed to keep it perfectly reliable for her. I have a V8 parts car with a rebuildable 289 also. Either way it won't be original, so which way do you think I should go? I need to weld in some floor pans, everything else is solid. Any input for a newcomer would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
good luck, I too have a 1967 mustang. You will find everything you need on this site. I have just completed the floor pan replacement,frame rails, torque boxes, and frame patch. Not that bad. There are some great guys and gals on this site. Use the search button, everything has been discussed and don't hesitate to ask anyway. Im intrigued with the 5.0 conversions, and if I wasn't planning to supercharge, then I might have went that route myself.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome!

Ditto on the search option. You should find answers to most of your questions there.
This is a great forum that moves well.

Mark

·
Registered
562 Posts
Kurt: Welcome to the forum. It will be a great place to help you with your build. Mark

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I saw a pretty good deal for full floor pans in the classifieds here. Wish I saw it before I did the floors in my Coupe :(
If you're going to do the swap anyway, I would go with the early 90's 5.0 with a 5 speed. That's my plan too :winkgrin:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'd say definitely go with the 5.0 5-speed. A nicely done, reliable restomod will always be worth more than restored 6-cylinder or a v8 conversion car. It will be good for your girlfriend and you will lose the least amount of money if you ever decide to sell it.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
A nicely done, reliable restomod will always be worth more than restored 6-cylinder or a v8 conversion car.
Uh-oh, wait till Nolookingback hears this. :: Her we go again. :wall:

·
Registered
522 Posts
A nicely done, reliable restomod will always be worth more than restored 6-cylinder or a v8 conversion car.
Uh-oh, wait till Nolookingback hears this. Her we go again.
Well, I'll caveat that and say, of course, its only my opinion. Im not an expert but from what I have seen looking at 1967 cars on ebay, there is a general trend...
(Assume cars in similar material condition)
1) 6 cylinder car sells for less than a 6-8 conversion car.

2) A 6-8 conversion car sells for less than an original v8 car.

3) Original v8 cars and restomods must be handled on a case by case basis. Sometimes restomods are worth more, and sometimes vice versa.

Since he has a 6 cylinder car, and an option to install either a 5.0 roller with EFI or a rebuilt 289, I think he would get the most money back from the 5.0 if he decided to sell. I just dont think the 6 cylinder or 6-8 conversion would entice people to pay even close to whats it worth if the price was close to someone selling an original v8.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I wasn't disagreeing with you, it just reminded me of a debate in another post.

Joe

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Welcome to the site, If you need floor pans you better check the cowl area, this is the major cause of floor pan rust.
I also agree that the 5.0 is the way to go, I am going to change mine (68 289 auto) over to 5.0. But I am staying with a carbed engine because of the value of my car, I don't want any cuts or holes drilled where they don't belong.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I did the 5.0 5 speed conversion on my old 68 convertible, the car ran great, was fast and very reliable. I used Windsorfox for the wiring and misc. parts I needed, not sure if their still in business. Here's a few pictures:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/578000-578999/578789_25_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/578000-578999/578789_48_full.jpg

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Welcome,
I strongly agree with the need to check the cowl pan as the source of the moisture for the floor pan rust. Do a search, there are a LOT of posts about this problem. There are also good web sites with instruction.
It is good that you have a V8 parts car as the suspension and rearend are different between the I6 and V8. Here is a good article on the conversion http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3573/Special/67I6tov8.htm

I would go for the 5.0 and the T5 (especially the T5) if I were comfortable with getting the computer things figured out.

Another major upgrade I would look to is disk brakes. There are a lot of options, again a search of VMF will yield a wealth of information.

Good luck

K

·
0 Posts
You do know about the front suspenson and rear axle swapped needed for your conversion don't you?

Just checking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts