Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say hello to everyone here. So far just reading the posts have been very helpful. Although, now I think I am stumped and need some help... I really messed up (was in a hurry), and took out my existing distributor without marking anything first. The motor has been rotated since doing this from taking the flexplate off. My question is, I plan on buying a Pertronix Flame Thrower HEI distributor but am afraid that it may be a bear to install now that nothing is marked and the engine is not tdc. What is the best way to go about installing this? Also, do I need to purchase something different for a rolling cam? How do I even tell if I have a rolling cam? Sorry for all of the questions... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome to the forums! As for reinstalling your dizzy, all you have to do is roll the motor over until the #1 cyl comes up on compression stroke. It will probably require an assistant to get it right. As for a roller motor... You'd have to look at the block casting date. Its cast into the side of the engine, right beside where the starter mounts up. If it has a series of letters and numbers like this D1ME-6015-A2A Then it is not a roller motor, as rollers did not appear until 85 i think in stock form. Post back with your casting #'s...and we'll help you further.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome to the forum I have learned lots here also, this is my little contribution to your question.
1. did you also remove all wires from the cap?
If so decide which you are going to use for # 1 cyl. If you still have them on your cap locate # 1 cyl. wire
Put the rotor and cap on your dist. With a felt marker mark the dist where you have the wire for # 1 cyl.
Now remove the spark plug from # 1 cyl.Replace the plug with your thumb! turn the motor over until you feel pressure building under your thumb, that is comp stroke on # 1 cyl.
Now look at the timing mark on the balancer, stop @ approx 6-8 degrees BTDC.
Install your dist. make sure the rotor points towards previously made mark. Now you dist is installed correct for # 1 cyl.
Now I am in murky waters as I don't know how the pertronics works but this work for points.
Attach all ign. wires and the wire to the coil.
Take a test light (a cheap 5 bux works) attach the alligator clamp to the - post on the coil, the other end goes to ground. Turn on your ignition, slowly turn the dist. until the light either comes on or goes out. Just when you find that spot where the light comes on or goes out by turning the dist.just a tad, lock the dist. down.
You now have a set up with # 1 cyl firing at 6-8 degrees BTDC this will start the engine so you can put a timing light on it and set the correct timing for it,,the whole operation doesn't take more than 10-15 min.
Good luck to ya

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your help. The problem desperado, is that the motor is not stock. Right before I bought it the guy put a Ford crate small block in with new heads, pistons, cam, etc. I have most of the info on those part writen down (not with me right now), but the one part he didn't have listed was what he put in as the cam. Will your method of looking at the numbers still work with this crate motor?

·
6,855 Posts
Welcome.

The issue here is roller blocks vs non-roller blocks. Ford roller blocks have a longer lifter bore cast into them to accept roller lifters which (if stock) are longer than standard hydraulic lifters. To add to the confusion, your engine builder friend could have used a standard flat tappet cam in a roller block with no problem, or if cash was plentiful, could have installed a roller cam retrofit kit in a non-roller block to install a roller cam.

The easiest way BY FAR to find out what he did would be to call him and ask. You might as well ask him for the cam specs if he can get them to you at the same time. That way you'll have everything.

Absent that I'm not sure what the easiest way to tell would be. Seems like the pushrods are different lengths for roller/non-roller cams??? If so you could pull a valve cover, loosen up a rocker arm, remove a pushrod and measure the length. Check before hand to see for certain if that will actually tell you anything.

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hoosier, I appreciate the info. I will try to get a hold of him. He wasn't a friend, just the person I bought the stang from. So, just to make this clear to me, I need to know whether or not this is a roller motor before I buy a new distributor? Will the MSD ready to run or Pertronix Flame Thrower HEI work no matter if my motor is a roller or not? ::

·
Registered
336 Posts
In that case, the casting numbers either wouldn't be present or would just identify the motor as a ford part.

As for doing the timing and everything else, you need your cam spec card to see if it differs from a stock engine in firing order. I'm not 100% sure but i do think that the flat tappet and roller distributors for 302's are the same, they just have a steel gear for roller motors and brass for hydro flat.

Keep us updated ::

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Nothing to add except welcome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts