Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to the forum.
A little about myself... I'm from northern california.. I've had a 1969 mustang Mach1 since I was 16 (21 now).

I don't drive it that much because it has had quite a few problems since I've had it (it was my moms before mine, but she didn't drive it for 10 years).
Work was done to it, but I'm not sure what all was done.
I do know that the rear end was re-geared, but I honestly couldnt tell you what size...

I had the engine rebuilt when I first got it and the guy who did the rebuild did a really bad job on it. The bottom end was "new" or so he said but it overheated after driving it for about 10 minutes.
Later I found oil in the radiator and no one could figure out where it was coming from.
The heads were pulled off, gaskets checked, block dyed and checked etc... but nothing solved the problem.
We had the radiator flushed mutliple times but the oil kept returning.

Finally after about 4 years of deliberation with this mechanic he gave in and said he would do the rebuild again, including another new bottom end. So he did.
It took him about a year to finish because business was slow and he didn't have the money for the parts.

I just got it back about six months ago. The oil leak is fixed, we figured it was a crack in the block some where that was just not found. But the overheating persists, it just takes longer.
Things will happen such as... the idle will drop very low and the car will die at stopsigns/lights.

I'm not looking for all the answers, I'm just looking for a place where I can talk about my car with other people who know about mustangs (as I don't).

Thanks... Mike
and here's a link to some pictures.
Mike's 1969 Ford Mustang Mach1
(the are on a honda forum because I work with honda's a lot more than I work with fords, but I've got both so I figure I should learn.)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Your in the right place.

No question is stupid and we don't "flame" each other here. This is a pretty civilized site.

There is also a search function that's pretty good if you have a question you think may have been asked before.

Welcome!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This is definitely the right place to get the answers, although determining the question might be harder. ;)

Just offhand, it sounds like you could potentially have two (or three, or four) problems happening simultaneously. Several of the symptoms you've described are most likely unrelated to each other.

Be patient, work through the problems one at a time, ask questions here as necessary, and by the time you're 41 or so you should have the car purring like a kitten. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #5

Yea I'm sure it's going to take until I'm 41 to figure out the problems also.
I know there's probably quite a bit of work to be done here and I have no idea where to start.

I would love to use it as a dialy driver, as it's a beautiful car. Unfortunatly thats just not possible right now.
My first project will probably be the rear end.

I have a c6 auto with a shift kit and the drive shaft was custom made for the rear end that was put in the car (that much I know). At least if I get it geared back to factor I can probably drive it on the freeway without fear of blowing something up.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The cooling problem is the place to start I'd say. First thing is to figure out what you have, and what might be missing. If you remove the radiator cap you can count the rows. If it's a little two row, then moving up to a three row just might solve your problem. If it's a three row, then is the fan shroud in place? If not, that might solve your problem.

One sure fired way to take care of it is an aluminum radiator and a high quality electric fan.

Good luck with it, keep asking questions,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts