Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the proud owner of a 65 Fastback 289 2V 4spd that we might call "barn fresh". Anyhow, it needs floors, frame rails, etc. What is the prefered order to rebuild the car? I was thinking floors and structural, suspension, engine/tranny, body and then interior. This seems natural, but I want some input. Also are coupe doors and fb doors the same or are fb doors different? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
The doors are the same, but the glass is different. Well, I know the glass is different on later years, not sure about 65,66. But yes, the doors are the same.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Certainly, structural first. Then engine compartment paint. After that, engine, tranny etc., interior paint, exterior paint, interior, and then exterior detail like bumpers and other chrome goodies. But first the 10# bag.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have to disagree with part of the suggested sequences. First structural, suspension, etc. Then body, paint, interior, Then drivetrain. I hated having my car running, but all the glass,etc out so I couldn't really drive it. Also, engine/transmission went the fastest, and cost the least. Leave it until all of your high-ticket purchases have fallen off the CC statement.

Paul

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Unibody first! I think all will agree on that much. When you get it restored and the door shells on hinges then there's plenty of time to talk about what comes next.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts