Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a polyurethane transmission mount to replace a very worn factory mount. At idle and around town it feels fine, maybe a little more vibration, but nothing too drastic. On the freeway it's a different story. Everything's fine until I hit 60, when I start getting big time shaking and vibration. I can feel the steering wheel shake in my hands. It used to run fine up to 75-80. I was planning on switching to a stock-type rubber mount to see if that fixed it, but when I described the problem to a (non-Ford) mechanic friend, he thought that it might that my u-joints were going bad, and the worn transmission mount had been masking the problem. Any opinions or thoughts from the forum? I'm sure a new set of u-joints couldn't hurt, but I don't want this to turn into one of those situations where I replace part after part trying to track down a problem...

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I would check your universal joints, and have your driveshaft balanced by a driveline shop. It is most likely the driveshaft however, the universal joints may also play a part in the equation. Cost of balancing is less than $100.00. When I had mine done, they had to straighten it, as well as balance. I also had new u-joints installed. All for about $150.00.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Might want to index your U joint at the rear yolk. When the vehicle was assembled at the plant they would mark the high side of the driveshaft and the low side of the Diff. yoke with a paint dot. When assembled the system would be "better balanced" with the highs and lows equalizing themselves. If you can no longer see the paint marks just rotate your diveshaft 180 deg. 50/50 chance you assembled it wrong.

Mark Memmer
70 Calypso Coral Mach 1 351C 4V Completed by 8/01
98 Cobra Convertible
93 5.0 Mustang LX (Winter Ride)
00 Volvo S80 (Wifes Ride)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts