Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new TMI standard upholstery kit and I really want to do it myself and I'm relatively confident I can. I've got lots of articles for reference............any last minute advice?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Same here..I did fine. I took dig photos as I took the old off. You will get your fill of Hog ringing though..

Michael

·
Registered
791 Posts
Before you start install you need to get new foam (seat buns) and burlap material. Do not use old stuff. It has already had fatigue and you will be disappointed on how it sits. When you remove the old hog rings be sure to keep the metal rods within old upholstry as you will need to reinsert these into new material. They are what create the sculpture on the seat. There are similiar rods in the seat and the ones you reinsert must be hog ringed to the seat ones. I use the 1/8 inch diameter straight pull body dent puller to reach in and hook the rod in the upholstry and pull it up to the seat rod where I have a buddy hog ring it. It is great to have help on this reupholstry. Lay your new stuff out and let it warm up prior to install.
I have done a set of 70 std and 70 Mach1 now and YES you are able to do it with a little patience and time.
Rick

G

·
0 Posts
I did mine last year and they came out great! It was frustrating and hurt my hands, but it's very doable. I would agree about getting new buns and burlap. I have a tip sheet that I put together from posts on here and some digital pics of my own and some tools that I made to help if you would like. Let me know. Good luck!

·
Registered
759 Posts
What he said /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Plus you might as well clean up the seat frame. Remove rust ect... and repaint it. I highly recommend getting new seat buns if you already do not have them. You do not want to do the job twice.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'd agree with all the other posts so far. One resource I found valuable was Art Trantafello's (sp?) book on Mustang interior restoration. I read through that a few times before doing the job, and it came out pretty good.

Good luck and have fun! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Do it yourself. Take your time & remember how it came apart & just reverse the process to reinstall., If you have a poloroid or a digital camera take pics & you have something to refer to on reassembley.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Here's my shortcut, that I did, but have never seen this shortcut documented any where other than my own posts on the VMF (pats self on back). It will save you at least an hour per seat (probably more) and you will utter 90% less 4 letter words:

The seat backs are easy enough, it's the bases that are the time consuming, frustrating as hell part. When doing the bases ... put the wires into the seat cover and then hog ring the covers to the seat bun. Your hog rings will go in from the bottom side of the bun. Once the seat cover is hog-ringed to the bun, THEN set the bun onto the frame and hog ring the bun to the frame.

I've done 3 interiors now, 3 1/2 if you count in the fact that one of my seats broke and and I had to move my cover over to another seat. The last 2 seats (and the repair of the broken one) where done this way, and it cut the time from approximately 6 hours per seat down to about an hour per seat.

Good luck ... as with any thing, the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts