Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the complete pony seat upholstery kit (TMI), including new foam for the front seats . I am going to take off all the old junk and then turn it over to a professional to install. I took apart one of the front seats and now have some specific questions.
1) There were little wires running inside the old fabric which the hog rings used to attatch the material to the frame. Do I need to keep these? I don't think so because the new material seems to have a "vinyl rope" like part that maybe replaced the wire.
2) I found out where the mouse had been living. It was inside the seats. As a result, the brown weave mesh material that looks like a gunny sack, is historcal mouse house material. This material also had little wires inbedded into it. Now the question. Is this something that the upholster will have a can replace? If not what do I do?
3) What should I expect to pay for a professional install of the fabric?

·
Registered
354 Posts
1) Yes, you need to save those wires. Not that they are anything special, a coat hanger would work, but it easier to reuse the hold ones.

2) Some will go to the trouble of replicating the burlap and wires under the seat but it's not necessary. I used two layers of burlap instead.

3) Do it your self; it's not hard if you take your time. Before I decided to do it myself I had two quotes -one for $100 a seat and one for $150 a seat.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Are you going from standard to pony upholstery or did you have pony upholstery before?
The wires in the seat foam are different from standard to pony.
You can reuse them if they're in good conidition or just make new ones from coat hangers too.
The potato sack material underneath can easily be replaced and can be picked up at any fabric store.
As far as pricing goes I've seen places ask anywhere from $300-500 to do a full set front/back.
It's really not that hard to do and I would suggest trying it yourself.
Just pick up the hog ring plier and hog rings and go for it.
There are lots of tips and tricks we can help you out with if you want to try it yourself and save some cash.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
1) yes

2) use burlap

3) I was qouted $600.00 to just install the seatcovers, that`s with myself supplying all the materials ::
Needless to say, I learned how to do it myself ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow I really feel how good a deal I got on my custom work now. I paid $450 for the front and back seats done and they supplied the material and fabbed in the custom head rest and padding.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Holy cow at these prices! I had no idea that upholsterers charged so much just to install seat covers! I found upholstery to be the most rewarding part of restoration. I'll do a seat in the living room while watching TV. It's not difficult at all, and you can do the entire car in a couple evenings. I would strongly suggest you do it yourself!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I made the same transition from standard to pony and I had a guy do it for me too. He charged me $100 for each front seat and $150 for the back. I asked him to do my headliner too because I heard what a nightmare they are and I think he charged me $400 for everything.

I don't know if I could have done as well myself, but I'm very happy with the work and I know it saved me a lot of frustration. I would say try it yourself and if you start to go crazey, take it to someone.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
I'm with Dan, do it yourself. It's not that hard. Quite a feeling of accomplishment. Plus watching folks who don't know much about stangs drop their jaws when you tell them who did the upholstery is priceless!

Hey Dan, Monster Gagage here..what did you watch while doing yours? ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi

I 2nd what the guys say about doing it yourself if you want to save some $. If you've got the time and the patience it's not all that hard. When I did mine I didn't have a clue what I was doing and I managed to do a pretty good job. Oh and I agree it's priceless watching the expression on people's face when they ask you "Who did your seat upholstery" and you say "I did". People look at you with wonder and amazement and it give you a nice feeling of accomplishment. At least it does for me.

Oh you might want to also pick up an Interior Restoration book, which helped my installation.

Good Luck and Have Fun
Sue

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Wow, I agree! I did pay to have the 69 Mach I buckets done for Trouble, but then the covers were leather and it was being photographed for a technical article in MM or M&F. There wasn't enough time for us to install them along with the a/c system. Still, it was only $140 for each one and Mach I buckets aren't the easiest ones to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts