Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just a quick question. I need a new windshield for my 65 convertible. Checked with local glass shop ( highly recommended for quality work) and they quoted me $400 for a Carlite windshield installed. It only comes with the tint strip at the top. $235 if I want to try the install myself.
Anyone recommend doing this install myself?
I do need to provide my own rubber weather strip either way.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Pay the money and have it fitted!!
I sell the stuff for a living and and we love guys coming buying a screen "Its OK mate I'll fit it myself" then asking for instructions on what to do .
Their back the next day to buy another screen , because they broke it .and have it fitted or the thing leaks .
Its easy if you know what you're doing. Do you?
Don't risk it !!!!!!!! IT'S MADE OF GLASS ,IT BREAKS

If in doubt give it a clout
If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042&Sequence=15&res=high.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
It is a lot cheaper to do it yourself if you know how to! I found my 65 front windshield on the classifieds here just for $65! and it worked just fine for when i installed it!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
BTW $165 sounds a bit expensive to fit it .
Work them over on that price.
I think you're getting touched.
If it's anything like it is here , shop them and you'll do better !!

If in doubt give it a clout
If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042&Sequence=15&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
673 Posts
Wow, good price on the glass if it's actually a Carlite. I know the asian knockoffs are in the $190 range.. Horrible price on the install, tho. I had a shop here local that said they would remove my windshield, store it for me and re-install it (within a reasonable timeframe) after I was done painting for $85, I had to supply the new gasket.

I bought my windshield (after I broke my original removing it AHHH) for $40. When I checked on a new one for a 68 (tinted), Carlite wanted $1200 msrp, and the guy said he could get it for me for something like $600. I crapped my pants (practically) and went for used.

Thespazardman

G

·
0 Posts
This may be a stupid question but what does carlite mean? im pretty sure its either the company that makes it or fords brand of glass.. am i right?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just called a local glass shop and asked for a price for Carlite windshield, installed in my 65 convertible. They said $419 complete with new molding. I asked again to verify Carlite and they said that is all they would use on a classic Ford.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try LOF.com. I just purchased a new carlite with the tint and blue tint accross the top for $235 plus $50 for the OEM gasket. The real bear was shipping, $100. The local glass shop installed for $90.
Rich Fehr
68' Lime Gold Coupe.

·
Premium Member
7,234 Posts
The Dallas/FW swap meet in 2 weeks has a guy that sells New Mustang Windshields boxed and ready to go for $119. He also has the (shudder) bow tie and NoPar Glass. He drives from Minnesota to here to sell the stuff, so there must be one heck of a mark up on it.

Bob Hendrick
[email protected] ebay +82
1514 Braeburn
Richardson TX 972 783 4731

1 - 10 of 10 Posts