Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of modifying my 64 1/2 coupe to accept a bigger radiator, the pic was a test fit. my friend suggested fabbing up some brackets and bringing the radiator closer towards the engine and mounting the fan in front of the radiator. with the restomod engine compartment im finding that the Fomoco wiper fluid bag looks out of place. im thinking of using 2 of these tanks one on each side of the radiator one would be for coolant recovery or overflow the other for wiper fluid. i think it might be a cool look but is using one of these for the wiper fluid doable?
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Cooling/overflow.htm

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee191/jamison42166/radiator004.jpg

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I can't remember who, but someone had a nice aluminum tank that was shaped like the '68 wiper fluid tanks, it looked pretty cool

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
utmostjamin1 said:
Im in the process of modifying my 64 1/2 coupe to accept a bigger radiator, the pic was a test fit. my friend suggested fabbing up some brackets and bringing the radiator closer towards the engine and mounting the fan in front of the radiator. with the restomod engine compartment im finding that the Fomoco wiper fluid bag looks out of place. im thinking of using 2 of these tanks one on each side of the radiator one would be for coolant recovery or overflow the other for wiper fluid. i think it might be a cool look but is using one of these for the wiper fluid doable?
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Cooling/overflow.htm
I would not recommend mounting the fan in front of the radiator. Front-mounted fans are "pusher" fans, and are not as efficient as rear-mounted fans (aka "puller" fans). You'll also lose some benefit of cooling by having an obstruction in front of your rad. I don't think I would ever run JUST a front-mounted pusher fan, but then that's just me...

And heck yeah - that coolant tank can dub for a washer fluid reservior anyday. Just be sure NOT to fill it up high enough so that washer fluid spills out the overflow line.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
fast68back said:
I can't remember who, but someone had a nice aluminum tank that was shaped like the '68 wiper fluid tanks, it looked pretty cool
I'd like the link for an aluminum washer fluid tank.

Who has the link?! Think, McFly. Think! :p

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
I'm going to run just a front mounted pusher fan, no shroud really to speak of. I think with a big beefy aluminum rad I won't really run into any problems.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Better yet, they make a wiper fluid verison of the ever-popular round overflow tank, I think Kanter sold them way back when.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Ya know, I think maybe it was Kanter who had the aluminum tank as well.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
It's not pretty, but I'm going to use a Napa universal overflow tank for for washer and one for overflow.. But at $9.50CAD, i can't pass it up. :lol:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I am using two 3"*10" overflow tanks for my overflow and wiper fluid. I found them to fit much better on the fender apron by using that size. I just put a little RTV in the drain part of the washer fluid one and now I can put as much fluid as I want. I can post a picture if you want. It looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to go with the front mounted pusher fan anyhow.. that radiator is a 3 core alunimum radiator it frigging thick and huge.. its almost 3 times the size of the stock radiator.
shouldnt be any problems cooling but i guess ill find out next summer.
cool idea on plugging up the drain on that to fill it as high as you can, sure love to see your pics

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I will snap one tonight and post it later. Gotta spend some time with the kids first.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Here is a picture.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb156/68EFIvert/Enginejan2408001.jpg

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks looks good...I apreciate you taking the time. my idea on mine is to mount one tank on each side of the radiator. the passenger side will probably do the overflowtank and the driverside of the radiator will do the the wiper fluid.

Rorin67 I love your ride that looks sweet cant wait til i can afford to have mine painted.

·
7,124 Posts
You know what would be schweet.

Fab up one tank that is both the radiator overflow AND the wiper fluid.

1. One less tank.
2. Heated wiper fluid tank

Phil

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That is thinking out of the box. Good idea. Just don't get the hoses crossed. I can see cleaning the windshield on my vert with antifreeze. Knowing myself I wouldn't know it until I got the green stuff in the hair.
:lol:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cool idea! whats funny is ive had the car since spring of 2005 and have yet to get caught in the rain so far... mother nature are you listening? LOL. yea thats something id do is hook up the wrong hose to the wrong tank. would remind me of the brady bunch when greg bought that cheap convertible and everything was wired up wrong lol.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
68EFIvert said:
Here is a picture.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb156/68EFIvert/Enginejan2408001.jpg
That is a nice solution! I already have one, so adding another won't be a problem. :D
Daniel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts