Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is to inform pertronix users that I have a wiring harness now available to use with 65 thru 68 mustangs that will make a full 12 volts available at the distributor and coil location. It consists of an adapter that plugs into the point where the resistor wire can be separated from the ignition switch that allows you to plug back in the resistor wire and a new wire that will run thru the firewall and parallel the existing resistor wire. This harness is professionally manufactured and has the correct color coding and grommet for the firewall molded on the wire. The price on this harness is $17.00 which includes priority shipping. You can e-mail me or contact Distributor Dynamics at 530-675-2522 for more information.
jazzbo

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Where were you 6 months ago?? :p It's all squared away now though.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That sounds pretty cool, but 2 thoughts that come to mind: In 99% of all cases, the Pertronix doesn't need a full 12v, and what would the correct color code be for a wire that didn't use to exist?

One thing that might make it peak my interest more, is if it had 2 wires through the firewall grommet ... one for the Pertronix, one for an electric choke (they DO like 12v), and possibly even a 3rd for a tach wire.

I do like the idea of a nice neat grommet at the firewall, though, and your price is very reasonable.

I'm really not trying to "rain on your parade", but Pertronix changed their instructions a couple years ago, now stating that you should hook it to a switched 12v source. The reason for the change in the instructions was a very, very small percentage of people that had problems running the Ignitor via the resistor wire (I suspect it's because of old, usually butchered, wiring). The instructions that I received with my Ignitors, several years ago, stated to hook it to the coil and leave any resistor in place. I've run Ignitors for years on daily drivers via the resistor wire on many cars and have yet to have a problem with any.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yo johnpro,
As for the color code of the wire. The resistor wire becomes a red with green tracer at the fire wall to the coil termination. Seems like common sense to color code the wire that will run parallel to this wire and terminate at the coil, if you should so choose, the same color code. As for pertronix, I have 6 mustangs, a falcon ranchero, and a 72 ford pickup all with pertronix with all configurations. I know how they fuction. I also have installed hundreds in distributors and know their quirks. Some people like running 12 volt pertronix coils with their units and want the full 12 volts out front. I cant think of a neater way to get it there. As for my parade, it has been rained on many times. I'm use to it. Not to worry ::
jazzbo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts