Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I now have a new worst spot weld removal job. I finished taking of the cowl panel after I bought new spot weld removers from Eastwood. I originally bought the 3/8 weld bit but it got dull after removing a rocker and the seat "hump" so I tried the cutter with the pilot. I love it, it worked great I only drilled to far on one weld. I also took everyone's advice and put the air chisel away. To bad I didn't start out that way. Oh well at least I'll have plenty of work to keep me busy. How should I repair the edges of thhe panel that were damaged by the airchisel? LMK
Thanks~
Jon Edwards

·
Registered
977 Posts
What parts were damaged? Glad to hear you put the air-chisel away. I would get a hold of some sheet metal and cut the damaged area out. Then I would bend the sheet metal to form the damaged area and then weld it nicely so that you couldn't tell. This takes time and lots of it, not to mention patience. You have to tack it in a couple of spots and then come back later once it cools down. Then you can do a couple of more spots. This will avoid over heating the metal, which makes the metal shrink and pull. Once you get all the gaps filled in, then grind the welds down smooth to the viewable area.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The damage was mainly done to the cowl panel around the driver's side, some of the spot welds were so close together that when I drilled them out they overlapped. The metal was so week that when I used the chisel and hammer to get it loose it really tore up the area. Thanks for the advice on fixing the damage.

Jon Edwards

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 3/8 cutter and I bought a replacement set but was able to finish (about half of the welds) the cowl panel removal with just one cutter. It still works fine and I only cut to deep once with it. I didn't like the kind you have i tried to keep some oil on it during drilling but it still got dull very fast. It is cheaper but for about the price of one of the professional bits I bought the cutter, pilot shaft, and two replacement cutters. Good luck!
Jon

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Definatly by far the worst is the cowl. I have done the radiator support, inner front fender panels, cowl, & front floors. Next comes the trunk & rear frame extensions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts